Author Topic: Is your allotment site friendly?  (Read 6713 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Is your allotment site friendly?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 20:52:04 »
I've been on our site for 4 years now, and people are just begining to accept me ::).Many of the others have been there 30 years or more. There are those who wont speak unless I speak first, but they are in the minority and I make a point of speaking to them anyway.  ;D
No committee or social events,but in the main a good atmosphere. A nice place to be.
Smile, it confuses people.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 23:18:04 »
A nice place to be ---- the best reason for a plot  :) :) :)
sanity is overated

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 00:01:29 »
our site has always been friendly,for those who want to be,those that just want to get on are left respectfully alone,although they are in the minority. since becoming sec a year ago,ive attained a communal hut (metal container) with tea making facilities,and have been over joyed to find anonymous donations of vintage gardening books,a boot scraper,mugs etc appear.we also have a loo now,and when advertised for volunteers to help on communal projects,been overwhelmed with the turn out. a plot holder recently emailed to say i have turned what was an impersonal organisition into a kind of extended family,very sweet words,but i always felt it was just that before,hence my desire to become sec in order to give summat back.
if folk didnt chat to each other,i would worry,as how would all those years of hands on experience be passed on thru the generations,being steeped in history is one of the many joys of being a plotholder.and yes,many times i visit i am distracted by chatting,but its never a problem,well usually anyway!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:38 »
since becoming sec a year ago,ive attained a communal hut (metal container) with tea making facilities,and have been over joyed to find anonymous donations of vintage gardening books,a boot scraper,mugs etc appear.we also have a loo now,and when advertised for volunteers to help on communal projects,been overwhelmed with the turn out.

But how do we stop our council opposing all of that - because that's what we want?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 09:05:06 »
since becoming sec a year ago,ive attained a communal hut (metal container) with tea making facilities,and have been over joyed to find anonymous donations of vintage gardening books,a boot scraper,mugs etc appear.we also have a loo now,and when advertised for volunteers to help on communal projects,been overwhelmed with the turn out.

But how do we stop our council opposing all of that - because that's what we want?

What reason does your council give?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:34 »

are they simply oppossed to paying for it? cos if so getting funding is far easier than you would think,pm me if you would like some advice with this, (and beg my pardon please if you already know about it!)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 10:22:38 »
Yes, very friendly, and people are very kind at giving produce, if I admire anything get given some.  Must learn to keep my mouth shut.  ;D ;D ;D Admired some parsley that looked very healthy and was given a handful.  One new bloke said he was embarrassed as so many people had given him stuff and he had nothing to give back, told him not to worry as people get satisfaction about giving away their surplus.  I miss Margaret who had to give up her allotment next to mine as we had 'good chats' as my granddaughter would say.  They are going to split her allotment into three, so will have more people to chat to, hope they are nice, which I am sure they will be.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 10:49:38 »
We're on a big site (214 plots) and in our corner everyone is very friendly.  I believe this is not the case all over the site, though.  I think we're lucky.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal