Author Topic: Is your allotment site friendly?  (Read 6769 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Is your allotment site friendly?
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:53:54 »
Visitors often comment that there is a very friendly atmosphere on our allotment site....

Do you think this is a good thing?

Is yours a friendly site?  If it isn't, would you like it to be? 

Or would more work get done on plots if nobody spoke to each other?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Is your allotment site friendly?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:22:09 »

;D  ;D  ;D

Definitely! Sometimes it takes me 20 to 30 mins to make my way to my plot - by the time I've said a few hello's, chatted about what has or hasn't done well this year, what everyone is up to at the moment..... Mind you, it took me a while, when I 1st got my plot I would nod / say hello / nice day etc and be working on my plot within minutes of getting to site, now I've been around for a couple of years and know a few people it can take a while. But I wouldn't change a thing!  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:12:50 »
I'd definitely get more done if I didn't speak to anyone - most people on our site are very amiable but there are a couple of grumps - just like most places.  My plot is away from the gate so I have to pass a lot of people to get to it and like 1066 it can take a while to get there - but I love it...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:13 »
Yes I think that is a good thing! Can you imagine a site where no one talks to one another! I think that what work gets done, or not,  isn't really dependent on how little or much we chat.
There's a right mix on my site! Thankfully most people are friendly, some I never see and there are one or two who don't get on with anybody. Some folks are nearly always happy to stop and chat whilst others hardly even say hello.
That's lottie life I guess!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:05 »
Ours was a bit quiet and secretive when we arrived ten years ago - but then there were only 27 members! When we went to our first AGM, we thought we'd turned up to the wrong place because we didn't recognise anyone!

Now there are nearly 90 members and every plot is taken. And everyone talks to everyone else. It's great!

But isn't that the point of allotment gardening? If you don't want to talk to anyone, buy a house with a large garden and you can potter around it talking to yourself all day. An allotment is a community!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:33 »
I think allotments often reflect the general population in that you get a mix.We on the whole have a smashing group ,I've met some wonderful folk who I probably wouldn't have encountered on the "outside".I tend to know most because I wander up to strangers and chat.The OH says it'll get me into trouble one day but it's interesting because I've introduced plotholders who have been there longer than us and yet haven't met.Yes on the whole our site and it's residents in the words of my new and most treasured lottie mate is "FAB" :)
and she's a member of this forum so you know who you are  ;)
sanity is overated

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:05:48 »
Ours is a split site - split by the access road for the adjacent housing estate which was built after the allotments - so that is not conducive to neighbourliness. I know just about all the plot holders (about 100) at least by sight, but that is really only because I'm on the committee and visit both sides. Within the smaller area, which is where my plot is, folk are mostly friendly. I know I can easily spend as much time chatting as working on my plot, however people also respect that you're there to get something done so don't intrude unless invited - well not always!! ;D ;D
There are a few grumpy old b*****s who look upon the newcomers as "yuppies" and there are one or two folk - admittedly not ones I know very well, that I would not tell their plot wasn't up to standard face-to-face. Mostly nice folk though. We've been trying to get more community events set up but they don't seem hugely popular. We're lucky even to get 40% attendance at the AGM.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:27 »
Overall I would say ours is pretty friendly. There is a big range of times when people come down though so, even though I have been on the site for 4 years, there are certainly people I haven't met and wouldn't know from Adam. Mainly those that come down only during the week (when I am at work) and don't come to the AGM or any social event.

There are also a core of people that come to any social event, competition or the AGM

It is quite a nice balance. Some people aren't interested in making 'friends' which is fine.

We have about 70 members, but there are certain cliques within the site as it is split up into different areas. At our end of the site it takes me about 30 mins to go past 3 allotments!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 21:33:10 »
Hi Squash

I was talking to one of the committee today about how successful your summer fayre was, and particularly how well supported it was.  There are allotmenteers on my site who would like to get involved in something like that.  I've been trying for a couple of years to get permission for a communal site hut to create a social focus for the site but so far the powers that be have opposed the idea.  My life would certainly have been a lot easier if I'd not made the effort, but in a funny way the struggle is bringing us together and I'm making some good friends.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 21:52:31 »
Visitors often comment that there is a very friendly atmosphere on our allotment site....

Do you think this is a good thing?

Is yours a friendly site?  If it isn't, would you like it to be?  

i would get more done if i stopped talking to the lady plotters. ;D

still cant get the quotes right   ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 21:56:31 by jimtheworzel »

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:30 »
Hi Squash
I've been trying for a couple of years to get permission for a communal site hut to create a social focus for the site but so far the powers that be have opposed the idea. 

What a shame because somewhere to meet is very important. 

When you say the 'powers that be' do you mean your allotment committee or the Council (if you are Council owned)?

What reason do they give for opposing it?  I can't think of any reason why people would not want somewhere to meet, relax, have a cuppa etc.  We even have a darts board in ours for when the weather is bad!

If they agreed to have one, what would you do about funding it?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 19:32:48 »
Hi Squash.  Yes, it was a terrible shame.  The Council refused it, but we'll ask again soon and I'm sure they'll want to say yes this time.

My first site in Southend has a site hut and everyone got together at the weekend and that was my inspiration.  In my view a site hut is essential.

My plan is to build it out of scrap at zero cost, because just planning and building the thing is enjoyable and brings us together.  We've all sorts of talented people on site and it wouldn't be too much of a challenge for us.  When it was first turned down I built myself a shed from scrap (pallets and packing cases) just to prove that it could be done for nothing, so it's just a case of scaling up a bit.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 21:02:38 »
We have a nice friendly site with some great committee members and most people chat, if imnot in the mood to chat i keep my head down and keep working, most know the signs  ;D i can chat and work, sometimes you just want to get something done and when you only have weekends time is short. Trouble is hubby is the chairman and im the secretary  ;D so someone always has something to ask ect of one of us but thats the joys of the lottie, better than sitting at home with nothing to say.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 22:00:59 »
Our site is friendly enough.  Most people chat and pass the time with each other.  Always available to offer each other gardening advice where needs arise.  Our community lottie shop aides this and allows people to get to know one another more so.  There is still one or two that nobody gets along with but that is the same anywhere I guess.

There are times when you need to get on and the chat can be a hindrance.  Many lottie gardeners will do 30 minutes gardening, 30 minutes gassing then go home and tell OH they have sweated for the past hour.... 8) 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 05:27:52 »
I built myself a shed from scrap (pallets and packing cases) just to prove that it could be done for nothing, so it's just a case of scaling up a bit.

Unwashed - that shed looks fabulous!  Is the chimney just decorative or have you got a fireplace inside?

There is a very large allotment site in Birmingham where people have put up their own sheds but it looks like a shanty town! I wonder if that's why the Council refused you permission to build a communal shed.  Have they actually seen your shed?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:08:14 by Squash64 »
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:11:06 »
Unwashed - that's a fab shed  ;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:45 »
Hi all,
The site I`m on is quite small, split into two by a car park and half of our lower area is unworked most of the time in the last six years. Every year around this time the council let empty plots to new tenants and for a while the site is busy and fully worked. Then all the newbies give up. One will stay.
These newbies get integrated into a small community of long time plot holders.
We share produce and keep an eye on each others plots, help with lifting etc.
and chat, sometimes for long periods when we should be working, and sometimes when theres work to be done, just a polite good morning will suffice.
When I`m on the plot my approach is like a working day with coffee and lunch breaks and that is my time for chatting. Sometimes I will sit on my patio and someone might come down and join me and at other times I will take a sandwich to someone elses plot and chat whilst I eat but try not to stay too long and respect their need to work. Some people I respect and trust a lot, and we have phone numbers and emails, others are friendly but not friends, but may be over time.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 17:43:52 »
There used to be quite a bad atmosphere on my site. It was down to one or two people stirring it up all the time, and with them gone, it's now quite friendly, and it's a lot pleasanter to be there. As far as I'm concerned, the friendlier the better.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 19:54:25 »
we have a 20x12 communal shed with a camping stove with grill and oven on it, plus the kettle's in there, we have a generator and a solar panel for lighting..we also have a conservatory or, as we have to say , a lean-to or we might need planning permission. ;D
the vast majority on our site get on, have a laugh and get involved (we're having a bonfire bbq where family and friends are joining us)..there are a couple of people who can cause friction but that happens in any community

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 20:03:59 »
my site is deeply split,old gang who will go out of there way to do everything to annoy you, this includes, breaking into other peoples plot, talking behind your back to start little tales off and not listening to a single rule that the council make,then there is the new/young/decent folk who do as they are told but always get put down by the old, if the new/young/decent folk grow something great the old either steal it or report you to the council with unfounded charges, this has gone on for years at my site until recently when the council has started a purge of the old, things are slowly on the up, and my chickens can sleep safely knowing the if they are touched i will find and most probably kill the perpetrator  :o ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal