Author Topic: Straggly Calabrese again.... aaargh.  (Read 1565 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Straggly Calabrese again.... aaargh.
« on: September 26, 2008, 13:51:45 »
This year, and come to think of it last year my Calabrese hasn't developed a large single head, just small florets here and there. I firmed the soil before and fter planting and mulched with old compost and rotted grass cuttings so I thought they'd be well fed.

Can I blame the weather this year or am I doing something wrong?

Has anyone got any top tips for getting a supermarket style main head on Calabrese?

Cheerio.

Jon

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Straggly Calabrese again.... aaargh.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 14:25:46 »
my Calabrese hasn't developed a large single head, just small florets here and there.

This could simply be a variety thing! i.e. you are growing one not suited to your area and conditions.

I have looked to what you have said for clues and in my opinion it is in this statement;

I firmed the soil before and after planting and mulched with old compost and rotted grass cuttings so I thought they'd be well fed.

I may get shot down here because I know there are many who advocate 'grass' mulches' which is fine if your ground/soil is in the right 'fettle' in the first place.

Things that come to mind is the pH of your soil, and has the rotting process of the rotting grass that is perhaps pulling the nitrogen from the soil. I don't really know ???

Plus I do not believe in the 'compacting of the soil' as I know many do.

I prefer to 'puddle' mine in.

This is my way;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Slide%20Shows/Brassica%20planting%20ss/02-brassica%20planting.html

And this is what I get;

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 23:42:42 »
Hi TeeGee,

I'll give it another go next year but then that's it - more cabbages instead of calabrese (won't the other half be pleased!).

I'll try puddling in, but oddly enough cabbages that were also mulched with rotted grass seemed to do really well, many leaves and really compact heads and in fact they're just coming round to a second cutting of mini cabbages from the stumps.

Nice photo BTW - that's how it should look to me.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 00:39:46 »
I'm pretty much with Tee Gee on this one although I often stick the heel in once the brassica plant has perked up after the move. Firming or consolidating the soil before planting out will almost certainly give problems in most cases.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:44 »
As for variety, I would suggest 'Marathon'.....I grew this one this year in my raised beds, and had an excellent crop. The only problem was staggering the harvest, as an F1 variety, they are inclined all to mature at once!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:03:26 »
This was my first year with Calabrese,  from some young plants I was given from a neighbour. (Do not know the variety)  My OH said all did really well and all got eaten rather quickly.  So now I have been instructed to plant loads next year. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:09:30 »
Grass cuttings have plenty of nitrogen; problems arise when you add too much to a compost heap largely because of an excess of the stuff. Autumn leaves might possibly cause a deficiency, if you added too much, but I think you'd have to dig them in to achieve it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal