Author Topic: can someone  (Read 1445 times)

debster

• Hectare
can someone
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:02:27 »
explain in english what i need to do with my raspberry bushes re pruning and when thanks  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: can someone
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:46 »
No problems Debster

Cut summer raspberries that have fruited down to the ground.  You will know the ones that fruited as they have the bits of the flowers on the end and are darker wood too.

Leave the new shoots which are greener stemmed than the old ones and tie them in, they will carry next years raspberries.

With autumn raspberries - cut them down when they have finished fruiting.

OK?  Hopefully makes sense!

Old Bird

;)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:48 »
Takes a deep breath <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If they are SUMMER fruiting canes you need to prune out any that fruited this year and tie in the new growth, these will fruit next year.
If they are AUTUMN fruiting, wait till about Febuary and cut them to the ground.
Which ever you have its a good idea to give them a feed now with a balanced fertilizer.
Check the canes are healthy with no brown patches on the stems, if they have dig up and burn them they have virus.
If your bushes are over crouded dig them up and split off the new shoots or just dig the shoots up and start a new row, this keeps your stock fresh.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:07:09 »
they were brand new put in this year and we only had half a dozen or so fruit in the summer so im guessing they are summer fruiting aldis best so many havent fruited at all should i still do the same

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 16:21:42 »
Yes treat them as summer fruiting :)
I find autumn bliss and Joan J the best ones but they are autumn fruiting, i may have some shoots you can have if you would like some, we are moving a load soon  :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 20:58:27 »
thank you that would be lovely only seem to have one good bush  ;D

Skippy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 11:42:21 »
I read earlier this year that rasps like ericaceous feeds every so often, so have been giving them that once a month, and have had the best and biggest crop of rasps ever.  Maybe a coincidence, but will keep on doing it!  Know they like a good amount of compost late winter, so will add a bit of ericaeous compost in too, and see what happens!  Apparently they like a neutral to acid soil.
Live each day as it comes, but plan your tomorrows.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal