Author Topic: Thoughts on these potato plants?  (Read 1300 times)

oelph

• Not So New ...
Thoughts on these potato plants?
« on: July 16, 2007, 20:11:04 »
Haven't been able to get to our allotment in 4 weeks and we had a shock tonight to see our lovely green potatos reduced to this:

Is this supposed to happen or is it because of all the rain?

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Thoughts on these potato plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 22:16:56 »
Can you take a close-up photo of just one of the more affected plants?

And what variety are they?

We should be able to answer your question then.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 22:48:17 »
Probably the B word...
 :'(

oelph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:22:01 »
They're Maris Piper. I can't get back up to take another photograph yet, however the leaves look shriveled and blackened - you can pull them off with a light hand motion. I did lightly unearth some and could see a few tubers underneath which looked ok.

Other peoples potatos around our allotment are looking fairly similar too. This is the best I can do (crops of the original image):

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:32:55 by oelph »

David R

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23:43 »
blight :(

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 21:47:57 »
From the close-ups I cannot see any of the characteristic blight spotting on foliage or stems.  From the amount of defoliation, if this were blight I would also expect to see dark purple/brown patches on many of the stems, but I can`t.

What I see is lower defoliation and pale green (but apparently clean) tops, rather than the normal deep green colouration.  This is not normally symptomatic of blight, but it does indicate that the plants are dying back, and I suspect wet weather rather than any more sinister cause.

I certainly think that the plants are now too far gone to make any further crop growth, and although I do not think blight is present I would cut them down and remove the haulm as a precauthion.

Don`t lift them for at least 2 - 3 weeks after removing the haulm.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 22:21:09 »

I certainly think that the plants are now too far gone to make any further crop growth, and although I do not think blight is present I would cut them down and remove the haulm as a precauthion.

Don`t lift them for at least 2 - 3 weeks after removing the haulm.

Just wondering why shouldn't you lift the spuds for 2 - 3 weeks ?
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 22:43:10 »
I only know this because Kepouros has mentioned it on another thread somewhere else...you leave them for a couple of weeks to allow the skins on the spuds to 'set' and for the living blight spores on the soil surface to die.  Otherwise you lift spuds with no hard skins, they come into contact with the blight spores, which will cause the spuds to rot and not store.  ;D  I learn something new every day.

oelph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 17:46:07 »
Thank you all. We'll cut down and lift in a couple weeks and hopefully get something salvageable.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal