Author Topic: Warning: Carelessness costs crops  (Read 2327 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Warning: Carelessness costs crops
« on: December 23, 2005, 10:37:03 »
Off to MiL today for BH so went to plot to get Xmas pots - first time in a week. The ****** pigeons have started on the brassicas I'd not got round to netting, my 9 star perenniel broc and some promising caulis have been attacked. They don't seem to have got a taste for cavolo nero - yet. Rigged up some temporary cover.
Thought I'd learned the lesson - always, always net! Reader beware!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Warning: Carelessness costs crops
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 12:05:55 »
Yes the lesson never seems to sink in ... I lost my whole crop of gooseberries this year with not bothering to net in time - the crop disappeared within a couple of days ...

Derekthefox

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 17:21:06 »
I lose my brassicas most years. I tend to get overwhelmed with work and stress, and things don't get done. Still, at last I'm getting well ahead on the heavy work, so hopefully I won't be bogged down with that next year.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 22:16:04 »
Wardy, catching a cold and still be grateful?? ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 22:39:03 »
Periwinkle, the one thing the rats with wings...sorry, I mean pigeons seem to ignore on our plot are the kale plants.....but then I guess if pickings are lean.........

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 23:11:01 »
Kale it the best!  ;D  I figure the pigeons are to dumb to give it a go, and I am not about to tempt them!!  Have been to the plot and harvest half of my cavalo nero for Chrissy day dindins at mums.  My sister won't eat sprouts or cabbage, but lurves kale in all it's forms!!  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 09:10:07 »
MMMMmmmmmm a good tip.  With no ones being attacked I uncovered my springs a few weeks back.  Methinks I'll recover them just in case...!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 13:56:08 »
Last Autumn a 'lost' homing pigeon found a home on my plot, daft thing. I haven't been able to catch it to return it to its owner. It seems to have enough food to keep going and has made itself comfy on the compost heap  :D. Strange, it seems to be keeping the other pigeons off my brassicas - are they territorial do you think?  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal