Author Topic: Slugtastic  (Read 6647 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: Slugtastic
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41:32 »
I got bought "50 ways to kill a slug" for Christmas, and in it is a suggestion that both live and dead slugs should be put on the compost heap - the live ones eat the dead ones as well as breaking down organic matter. Is this true? I do hope so as it would be much easier - once I've built my compost heap  :-[ - than my current strategy of seeing how far I can fling them...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 11:55:44 »
I'll have to try that...  Not for the squeamish though! :-X ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 13:39:24 »
I'd be afraid the live ones would end up giant size bupster  :-X
I recommend snipping crossways, not lengthways, you get more slugs per snip  ::) sorry snail  :'(

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 13:46:39 »
They're the size of footballs anyway. The theory is that they're so happy in the heap that they don't return to attack your plants.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 13:59:58 »
Size of footballs, ewwww!  :P
In that case they could be removed by seiving when it's time to use the compost - do you think they would lay eggs or does that only happen under rocks etc.? I'm always looking for an alternative to snippety-snip  ;)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 17:11:48 »
They're supposed to bugger off once the pile is well rotted, but I suppose you could turn it to expose eggs to birds etc then sieve the compost if you're still concerned. I understand the buggers love compost anyway so all you're really doing is moving them from one annoying habitat to where they can do you some good.  ???

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 17:53:49 »
you can buy an insect that apparently kills slugs eats them from the inside out, otherwise a couple of hens work wonders, or the local wildlife trust may need a hedgehog that needs re-homing???

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 18:14:44 »
The insect is Nemaslug, but it's pretty pricey, especially as it's my understanding you have to keep buying it every 6 weeks or so, at about £20 a shout. :(  They're also microscopic and I don't suppose for a moment there's any way of keeping them in your plot, and not buggering off to your neighbours. ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 18:42:00 »
LOL !!! no the veggies arnt good enough here, im packing my shell and going to geoffs next door!!! sorry its the way you said it, made me crack up, pmsl.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 12:58:49 »
I got 50 Ways to Kill a Slug for Christmas. Yay!!!! Can't wait to try some of them out!
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal