Author Topic: Tetanus jabs  (Read 13052 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: Tetanus jabs
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 16:43:45 »
Thanks MM.

Now, they say every 15 years a booster, unless you belong to a special risk group. What would be the guidelines for those? I think I'll stick to every 10 years as long as I work my allotment at least.

Isn't it strange that many people are advised that tetanus boosters are not needed but at the same time, when they do need one, they also get diphtheria and polio vaccine which they really don't need. I don't like getting foreign stuff in my system to begin with and certainly not when it's known not to be necessary.
I think it's a case of economics. When a surgery orders plain tetanus vaccine, they only use it sporadically and they end up having to dispose of the out-of-date vaccine. The DTP is used more frequently for routine vaccinations. So it's easier to just give the people who need only tetanus the whole sha-bang instead of ordering Tetavax especially for them.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 17:14:46 »
hi ina
I got the impression from our practice nurse that there is no jab for just tetanus.  As to whether someone comes within the special risk group, surgeries here would be able to tell their patients whether they fall within that group.  It must cut down on cost, as in the past even when we were having a booster every 10 years, if you were bitten by a dog you would more than likely get a tetanus booster even if you were up to date.  Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not defending this government of ours, particularly when it comes to the NHS.  They feed the public with a lot of figures to get them to believe things are improving.  I think it best I say no more!

MM

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 18:12:57 »
Feeling slightly better as I realised I had a tetnus booster when I was in my early 20's before travelling to Turkey.....so probably around 10 to 15 years ago.  Plus I had one when I was about 15 and was attacked by a neighbours dog......so who knows, maybe I have plenty in my system needle phobe that I am lives in hope!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 21:43:05 »
Oh MM, I hate to sound argumentative but I just don't agree with the distinction between professional gardeners and allotmenteers when it comes to tetanus risk.
As for getting the impression from the nurse that there is no jab for just tetanus, wrong. Tetavax is available in England too but maybe not in that surgery, which could be for the reason I mentioned before.
Tetanus is a serious matter and it's nice of you to get the information and post it here for all of us so we can be better informed.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 21:59:50 »
hi ina
I can only say what the new NHS guidelines are and that is what I relayed in my previous post.  People working on a allotment would not be included in the special risk group.  It is all guidelines and targets these days.  I know I work on that side of things at the surgery.  I asked the nurse, if you need a booster is it just for tetanus and I was told no.  As long as we are sensible and if you do hurt yourself while on your lottie you go to your surgery to get a tetanus jab there should be no problem.  Things are changing in the NHS on a monthly basis at the moment, it's a nightmare  ::)

MM

I have just had an after thought, you might be able to get a single tetanus jab but you might have to pay for it.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 22:01:31 by Merlins Mum »

Annieapples

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:50 »
Hi folks

Well I asked my health visitor yesterday while I was gritting my teeth on my daughers behalf - MMR - jabs for her - took me a long time to be convinced about those :-\ and she said the highest risk group for tetanus infections is and I quote "ladies of a certain age - who garden seriously" ;) She said that all older men were vaccinated before they joined the army during the war but their good old womenfolk weren't!!

Now i'm in my 40's and while she laughed and said perhaps not that certain an age if my jabs werent up to date to book myself in with the practice nurse pronto!!! will i get a smiley face "I was brave at the doctors today sticker" ;D will report back on this one - lol

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 13:28:32 »
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024824/

has the 2004 blurb on tetanus.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 17:37:43 »
a couple of years ago my mum went for her routine 10 year tetanus booster and had a really nasty reaction to it (although she had always had her boosters until then without any problems).  The doctor at the time said that the drug just builds up and up in people and can result in a adverse reaction once you are 'full'.  He said that he advises patients to have no more than 3 in a lifetime.  I am 34 and have always had my regular 10 year boosters so I guess going on this doctors advice I am done with them now.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 18:37:03 »
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40024824/

has the 2004 blurb on tetanus.

moonbells

Very informative Moonbells, thank you.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 06:11:23 »
After the last discussion on this site I rang my doctor to see if they offered tetanus jabs & what the cost was.

The started by asking what hobbies i had.  I explained I did allotmenteering & horse-riding & they said there'd be no problem with getting a jab, especially as my last one was nearly twenty years ago.   They don't charge as they're into prevention rather than cure.

All I had to do was make an appointment & try no to run when the nurse showed me the needle!!!!

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2005, 13:17:06 »
a couple of years ago my mum went for her routine 10 year tetanus booster and had a really nasty reaction to it (although she had always had her boosters until then without any problems).  The doctor at the time said that the drug just builds up and up in people and can result in a adverse reaction once you are 'full'.  He said that he advises patients to have no more than 3 in a lifetime.  I am 34 and have always had my regular 10 year boosters so I guess going on this doctors advice I am done with them now.

I worked with dogs, and had regular boosters for over 30 years. I never had any side effects from them, just a bit of a sore arm for a couple of days. That was preferable to the once I had the jab in the backside - I couldn't sit for several days  - ouch!!!!
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 23:44:37 »
I think if you wear gloves while gardening, don't put your fork into you foot (doing this once is unfortunate, but more than once - realyy!!!) and preferably don't prune your fingertip, then the risk of tetanus is minimal.  :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 07:53:41 »
I get stuck with hawthorn cuttings, often old ones, pretty regularly. That must carry a risk I'd have thought.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 08:15:49 »
I'm always getting scrapes and grazes from gardening and recently discussed with our GP keeping the whole family up to date with tetanus.  I live in Belgium and the latest policy there is to boost every 5 yrs for people like us and anyone doing agricultural or other work and hobbies that involve contact with soil and animal borne infections.   It's free on the grounds that it's cheaper to prevent than cure or cope with loss of life.
Obxx - Vendée France

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 08:34:11 »

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 09:34:05 »
Aaah, thats so sad  :(.

My GPs have  contradicted NHSDirect and said to have a booster every 10 years- its time they got together with a coherent policy so we know whats what. Got to be a brave girl now and get a jab but after seeing that picture it makes you realise how important it is.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2005, 18:24:09 »
I think if you wear gloves while gardening, don't put your fork into you foot (doing this once is unfortunate, but more than once - realyy!!!) and preferably don't prune your fingertip, then the risk of tetanus is minimal.  :D

You are right but........... I hate wearing gloves while gardening, I'll take a tetanus booster in time.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 19:11:04 »
Last time I had a tetanus jab the nurse said to me 'there, that should see you out now' :o  I thought (in view of my age) 'thanks very much'.  She must have seen the look on my face as she said 'oh, I didn't mean it like that, it's just that you have had your quota of jabs for your lifetime' ;D :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2005, 22:38:40 »
As soon as I got an allotment I booked in at my doctors for a jab. I had an Italian friend who pricked her finger on a rose thorn and she died of Tetanus.
Tetanus is carried in the liver of horses and therefore any garden that has had horse manure on it including flower gardens, not just allotments, is probably carrying the virus. It also can stay in the groung for years, so yes you are at risk.Rosemary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal