Author Topic: Tetanus jabs  (Read 13119 times)

Annieapples

• Not So New ...
Tetanus jabs
« on: May 18, 2005, 20:51:57 »
Hello everyone - a newbie here - i've been lurking long enough - you lot are so interesting - i just couldn't resist joining in - I just wanted to ask does anybody know how often as diggers, weeders and occasional slicers of muddy fingers ;) we should have a tetanus jab and do we have to pay for them?

Thanks....

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Tetanus jabs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 21:17:01 »
dunno about the cost but i think you should have one every 10 years?
which means mine is due as i last had one just before i travelled in south america in 1994 (!!)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 21:25:35 »
If you do  a search on Tetanus on here,you will find a wide discussion. I had one recently at my local GP and it was free, but you can only now have it as part of a combined jab, but I'm blowed if I can remember what it was ?measles?diptheria?,heaven knows!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 21:49:25 »
Yeah agreed - 10 years + free

I was told by the nurse (when signed on with new doctor) if you're coming into contact with horses (or their doings) you should keep up to date with the jabs as they are the main carriers + tetnus related problems are on the increase.

Don't shoot the messenger for scare-mongering - just passing it on
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 22:28:17 »
We had this discussion before and then it was also mentioned by several people that you could only get a tetanus booster as a combined vaccination. The tetanus vaccine is called Tetavax and I just can't imagine you can't get that there. 
If you don't want a 'coctail' (had to leave the 'k' out hahaha, otherwise it would be changed to 'thingytail), maybe you can ask for a prescription for Tetavax and pick the vaccine up yourself at the chemist then take it back to wherever they can give you the shot.
Tetavax is available in the UK, see link below, click on 'Name' to see who makes or imports it there.
http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/tetanvac.htm#SectionTitle:1.4%20Identification%20numbers

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:14:46 »
Last time I asked my GP about whether I needed a Tetanus booster (sometime last year I think) he said that current medical opinion was that boosters were no longer necessary. It all gets so confusing. I mean, is butter or margarine healthier for you??!!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 13:18:44 »
I had a tetanus jab last year after picking up a joint infection from rose thorns (that'll teach me to try and make my front garden look nice)

It wasn't part of a combined jab - but I was treated at the local hospital because my fingers woulnd't move - and was informed every ten years.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 17:49:46 »
Last time I asked my GP about whether I needed a Tetanus booster (sometime last year I think) he said that current medical opinion was that boosters were no longer necessary. It all gets so confusing. I mean, is butter or margarine healthier for you??!!

Did you tell your GP that you do gardening?

Some people say you don't need a booster and should you have an accident, they can give you a shot then but...................in my opinion it's different for gardeners. It is seldom the abrasions you might get in an accident that put you at risk, it's those tiny puncture wounds (especially with soil around) that close up quickly that are the real meanies and how often doesn't that happen while gardening.

As long as there are reported cases of tetanus, I'm a firm believer in keeping my vaccination updated.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 20:10:49 »
Repeat - 2 gardening ladies died locally through non immunisation.

And each time I have stuck my fork through my wellies - & foot - I've had a jab.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 21:23:32 »
My goodness Tim, was this recently? Still some GP's telling people it is not necessary to have a booster every 10 years?

Each time you stuck a fork through your wellies ................ how often did that happen? They have a saying in Holland: A donkey doesn't bump the same stone twice.

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 22:16:50 »
I was also told that there was no need for a booster, the last time I injured myself. That was a huge splinter in my thumb which left a bit behind that got infected.
The nurse did ask when I last had a tetanus jab and I told her it was when I got bitten in the face by a horse, when I was about 11 years old. As I'm now 38 that's a while ago, and she decided a booster wasn't needed :-\

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 22:27:43 »
Maybe you look 18 so she figured your booster was only 7 years ago hehehe.

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 22:35:22 »
LOL!!!!

She'd already taken my details and knew how old I was!!!! :o

I even asked if she was sure about that, but she seemed positive it would all be fine.........oh well...... ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 12:50:40 »
Mine gets done every 10 years, *shudder*
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 01:17:24 »
I thought it was every 10 years in fact when my son had his the doctor made me have one too!! But this weekend I was bitten by a dog - well I accidently put my arm in his mouth while he was barking (BIG MISTAKE) and although he only just broke the skin I wasn't sure if I should have a tetanus cos it must be about 10 years since the last one. Not wanting to go to A&E and sit for hours I phonedNHS Direct and the nurse said that if you've had all your baby jabs and a booster at school you are covered for life so I got out of that one  ;D
Just a bit worrying tho after what Tims said so may ring my own GP tomorrow and double check

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 18:07:41 »
Al I can say is that as long as medical professionals contradict each other and cases of tetanus are still reported, I make up my own mind and get a booster every ten years.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 18:43:18 »
The time between Tetanus booster jabs is 10years.  The first jab is when you are a baby and I think they now have 3 or even 4 up to the age of almost 5 years, the last of these being included in the pre school, then you have one at school at 15.  Some doctors will say you don't need any more after that, others will say that if you do a lot of gardening and are in a particularly bad area then have a booster every 10 years.  Unless it has changed recently, I thought the adult booster jab was just that.  I hardly dare say that I work at a surgery, but I do and I will ask tomorrow regarding combined jabs.
Some people have their own immunity against tetanus, in fact I have, lucky aren't I  ;D

MM

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 19:33:08 »
Al I can say is that as long as medical professionals contradict each other and cases of tetanus are still reported, I make up my own mind and get a booster every ten years.

That seem to be a pretty safe bet, ina :)

Is it a bit worrying when one doctor says one thing and another one says something else, isn't it? :-\

I'm awaiting the verdict from Merlin's Mum with bated breath :D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 14:59:13 »
OK now, I have asked our practice nurse about this.  Apparently the new guidelines state that no routine tetanus boosters are needed after the one at 15 years unless you come into a special risk group.  ie you are a professional gardener.  Sorry working on your lottie everyday does not count.  But if like Tim you put your fork through your wellies and foot then yes you should have a tetanus jab.  As would being bitten by a dog, although I wouldn't worry if it was my own dog not that he bites me.  This is a joint jab for diphtheria, tetanus and polio and at our surgery there is no charge.  I would think the only time a surgery might charge is if you insisted on having a booster simply because it's 10 years since your last one.
I hope this clarifies things  :)
MM

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 15:25:19 »
Thanks for the up to date info on that - very helpful :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal