Author Topic: Onion rot  (Read 5666 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Re: Onion rot
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 18:50:57 »
On the back of this. I tried some seeds Golden Bear that are supposed to be resistant to white rot. Not the case!!! They have already succumbed so don't waste your money on these seeds.

On the whole I have had a good year. Probably the lack of rain. I took up my shallots yesterday and not a single one lost. My garlic is going well had three I noticed had signs of rot so lifted them.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 21:37:57 »
Pah, spoke too soon about the watered-in garlic mush solution, some of my shallots looked ready, a quick wiggle revealed some rot, only under one of the bulbs so far but I think that indicates failure of the method - I'm still hoping to get a crop from the stuff in this bed but won't risk it again without retreating, I'm going to try the garlic powder method and if that doesn't work I shall have to give up, the hope and then disappointment is too much.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 19:15:13 »
If you have only one or two still getting white rot, it does not mean that the garlic method is a failure, especially if before you may have had much more failures. I usually treat twice, turning over the ground in between to get at the maximum number of sclerota in the cultivation depth.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 20:32:42 »
realfood could you give more details of your method, I would be most grateful  :happy7:
sanity is overated

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 19:03:24 »
I've just bought some garlic powder, I'll try it. I've had trouble for two summers now, so hopefully it will have some effect, even if only to lose fewer plants next time :-(

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 21:07:13 »
It is all here on my website :-http://www.growyourown.info/page173.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:23 »
On the back of this. I tried some seeds Golden Bear that are supposed to be resistant to white rot. Not the case!!! They have already succumbed so don't waste your money on these seeds.

On the whole I have had a good year. Probably the lack of rain. I took up my shallots yesterday and not a single one lost. My garlic is going well had three I noticed had signs of rot so lifted them.

Be aware that some of these F1s (I'm thinking of Santero here) are resistant / tolerant of downy mildew not white rot.  And there are some reports that they don't store that well either.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 00:26:59 »
Santerop stores quite well though not OR proof... one thing I've seen not getting it quite as much as others around it is hybrid shallots ... I'm thinking of Camelot (or possibly Creation) adn Prisma .... though I'll update in a week once we've had some rain....

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:09 »
You do not put it where your present onions are, you have to spread it on where your onions are going next year.
How it works is when you put the garlic on top of the soil and the conditions are right the white rot activates thinking there is food for it as there is nothing for it to feed off it dies.
You need to watch the weather forcast for when its going to be hot, humed and damp thats the conditions the rot needs to activate.
To put the powder on i just used my hand making sure i covered every bit of soil, an after thought was the long haired generals flour sieve but didnt fancy getting caught sneeking it out.
You have been taking leassons from Ace :toothy10:

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 09:44:53 »
onion rot scares me or did scare me, having had it in my veg plot three houses ago. I haven`t had it here but did get one onion and one shallot plant with furry bottoms this year. Garlic powder is on its way and will take my kitchen sieve  to the allotment (good idea). I am planting autumn shallots and garlic this year and at present have phacelia on the bed, ready to chop in about 2 weeks. I read 30g/metre,  a fairly fine dusting so a still day. September and dampen the soil first? or could do august, what do you think?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal