Author Topic: Onion rot  (Read 5700 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Onion rot
« on: July 05, 2013, 19:29:59 »
Have just been over to my plot, and noticed that two rows of my onions had very yellow bottom leaves. Pulled some up to see the root was practically not existant and there was a slight white fungus looking material on them. Is this onion rot? it is my first year growing onions as my husband was the onion expert, and as many of you will know he died in February, so I thought I would carry on myself. We are on a four year rotation with our vegetables, so I would be disappointed if it is onion rot. I have pulled the two rows up that are affected, but the rest look okay. Can anyone give me some advice? I had 90 sturon and about 30 red onions. Thanks if you can  help. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Onion rot
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 19:35:31 »
Sounds like onion rot to me :( all you can do is give them a miss for a while on that patch

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 19:53:25 »
Hi Lizzie

This does sound like white rot. I have the same problem on my plot. This year hasn't been as bad due to the dry weather. I do rotate as you do. But its similar to clubroot once it gets a hold. Will take several years to go. I keep perservering and planting far more than I need in the hope I get a reasonable crop. This year from my Japenese onions I have lost 4 to white rot as opposed to last year where I lost 75% of the crop. So far with my spring crop I have noticed half a dozen with signs of rot. I have left them in place in the hope that the organism responsible will stay with that onion rather than spread.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 20:43:57 »
Your problem is the onion rot has activated and will as long as you provide the food which is the onion or garlic. If you walk on any activated onion rot or use the same tools without sterilizing them you will spread it.
There is variations on how long it lasts from seven to fourteen years, so you can not grow any onions within that time where the rot exists.
What you can try is to decide where your onion bed is going to be next year and spread garlic powder over it. (all  of it). This will only work if it is hot and humid as this is what activates the rot so when it does activate it has nothing to live off and dies.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 20:49:45 »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 22:21:46 »
Hi Tee Gee, Unfortunately it does, though the white fuzz is not quite as bad as your picture. If I pull all the infected ones up, what are the chances of my saving the rest? The other rows look quite healthy. Also what should I sterilise my tools with? I really have only used an onion hoe on that area. I also have leeks planted there too, could they be affected? It is so disappointing as it has never happened before in the ten years I have had my plot. Thanks to everybody who has replied. I really appreciate it. busy_lizzie

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 23:19:25 »
Just stand them in a mix of jeys fluid.
As you say never had it in before but it only takes one person who does have it to walk on your garden, its as easy as that

DAVY

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:11 »
Sorry to hear about the rot, isn't it disappointing when a crop gets so close. You may well get away with it for some of this year's onions, but in my experience it spreads so next year you will lose more, and so on.
I read on here last year about a method of waking up the rot spores by watering on mushed up garlic in the autumn,  the same principle as Davy and the garlic powder. I did this on a dedicated patch, have taken extreme care not to reinfect from other areas of the garden, and so far it looks to have worked - I have garlic, shallots, onions and leeks all looking good. I was going to report back here at harvest time, fingers crossed it has worked...all the best for your crop, and well done for carrying on as you have done.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 08:50:16 »
This year, on our site, we have the Allium Leaf Miner and you can see the twisyed top growth and when you pull the onion up, it has secondary white rot.  I have pulled up about 1/3 of my onions (they are not going to make anything) but going round the site, you can see a lot of people aren't bothering.

My view is that we all have a bit of club root and onion rot and a million other diseases in the soil, esp if your site has been allotments for decades like most,  and what you have to do is keep it from getting too much of a hold by pulling out diseased plants and rigorous crop rotation.

So dont despair BL, your onion growing days aren't over yet.  And what small and davy suggested is definitely worth a go if you can find a tub of horse garlic powder.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:53:08 by Ellen K »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 15:11:25 »
The best place to get a tin of garlic powder is a pet shop and you want Equine Garlic powder not the granuales

DAVY

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 15:57:08 »
Hello Davyw1.

Is the best time to spread the powder now as soon as you are aware of the problem? I've just lifted 3 onions which have a white fungus on and no root. I suspect a few more have the problem. Is it just scattered or watered in?.

Regards

Bluecar

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 16:07:18 »
sanity is overated

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 20:10:33 »
You do not put it where your present onions are, you have to spread it on where your onions are going next year.
How it works is when you put the garlic on top of the soil and the conditions are right the white rot activates thinking there is food for it as there is nothing for it to feed off it dies.
You need to watch the weather forcast for when its going to be hot, humed and damp thats the conditions the rot needs to activate.
To put the powder on i just used my hand making sure i covered every bit of soil, an after thought was the long haired generals flour sieve but didnt fancy getting caught sneeking it out.

DAVY

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 20:13:07 »
Thanks davyw1, we've always loved growing onions but had to give up in recent years so will definitely give this a go. :happy7:
sanity is overated

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 20:23:16 »
It happened to mine a few years ago and got worse the next, I lifted all the onions and binned 85/90% of them. I did the onions in a bucket trick and watered in the liquid but I still planted on raised beds the next year and they've been fine since, touch wood. I will water in the garlic powder mentioned when the ground for next years onions is clear of crops and continue every year after.   :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 21:02:12 »
It happened to mine a few years ago and got worse the next, I lifted all the onions and binned 85/90% of them. I did the onions in a bucket trick and watered in the liquid but I still planted on raised beds the next year and they've been fine since, touch wood. I will water in the garlic powder mentioned when the ground for next years onions is clear of crops and continue every year after.   :drunken_smilie:

Kev, just about watering in, i didnt try that i just put the powder on and left things to nature, i think if if you are going to try that way just a light sprinkling so not to wash the powder in

DAVY

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 19:02:39 »
Thanks for the information.

I'll try the garlic powder. I use a three year rotation so that should also help a bit, but I assume I'm best sterilising any tools once I've used them on the affected bed.

Regards

Bluecar

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 19:06:18 »
Cheers Davey, I did water it in when I left onions to soak in the water, but I will sprinkle it in when I use the garlic powder.     :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 13:11:29 »
Thanks for the tip about garlic powder, and instructions, I will certainly spread it on my next bed. So far I havent had any more onions going yellow, so I am crossing my fingers I will at least have some sort of crop this year. busy_lizzie

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:55 »
Thanks for the information.

I'll try the garlic powder. I use a three year rotation so that should also help a bit, but I assume I'm best sterilising any tools once I've used them on the affected bed.

Regards

Bluecar

Affraid three years won't touch white rot, the general reckoning is that to be sure you'll need to leave the ground for 15 years before it sees another allium.... I tried putting garlic powder in last year where my  onions are this and I've got a lot fo rot showing, lost some of the overwintering tough-balls.... Looks like I'll have to build a raised bed for onions....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal