Author Topic: Allotment Decoys  (Read 2286 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Allotment Decoys
« on: August 11, 2011, 18:52:34 »
Coming back from Skeggy with cabbage fields for miles I noticed what I thought was a Kestrel hovering in a field, getting closer it was a decoy on a long thin solid almost invisible wire and was hovering life like, now if the veg  farmers think these decoys work then I want one, :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: Allotment Decoys
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 21:08:06 »
Coming back from Skeggy with cabbage fields for miles I noticed what I thought was a Kestrel hovering in a field, getting closer it was a decoy on a long thin solid almost invisible wire and was hovering life like, now if the veg  farmers think these decoys work then I want one, :)

No one in Lincolnshire goes to Skegness, its a rip off. Try the other smaller places - Mablethorpe, Chapel St Leonards. If you want the the middle of nowhere, try Theddlethorpe. Avoid Boston like the plague.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 21:25:28 »

No one in Lincolnshire goes to Skegness, its a rip off. Try the other smaller places - Mablethorpe, Chapel St Leonards. If you want the the middle of nowhere, try Theddlethorpe. Avoid Boston like the plague.
          linksyokel,
                            I was posting about the decoy I spotted in a cabbage field not my weekend break, I've tried those places but prefare Skeggy it reminds me of a smaller version of Blackpool another rip off resort I like, do you have any views on Cromer I'm off there at the end of the month, :)

Robert_S

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 21:40:27 »
I don't know what the farmers are hoping to deter by using a model kestrel if that's what it was....they don't eat pigeons, generally just mice / vole sized prey items. Also, the effect of any decoy eventually wears off unless its quite sophisticated or varied somehow fairly regularly....?

A sparrowhawk would be capable of tackling a pigeon (though they are normally after smaller prey), but they are not hoverers. Would be interested to know the thinking behind it.  ???

PS: Cromer is OK, as are Hunny and Wells. Cromer feels a bit wilder when the weather's "up".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 21:43:06 by Robert_S »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 22:53:28 »

linksyokel,
                            I was posting about the decoy I spotted in a cabbage field not my weekend break, I've tried those places but prefare Skeggy it reminds me of a smaller version of Blackpool another rip off resort I like, do you have any views on Cromer I'm off there at the end of the month, :)

i know, but ill waffle about any part of any post that i can chip in on  8)

We used to go vanning at Wells next the Sea, my mate had a van parked  there perm and a beach hut. There was a huge argument about the hut, because when he applied he was given, he was told by the council, 'the last plot', plot 99. Since it was the last one at the end of the row, he built a hut twice as big as the others. The council then said it was two plots, and tried to charge him double. He maintained they cant invent a new plot if they just said it was the last one. The argument went on for years. The hut itself was known as 'The Ballroom' by the locals.  We used to go and have Xmas lunch at The Globe and used the van parked up there

We also used to camp at West Runton just a mile or so west of Cromer, on some nice terraces at the back of a golfing hotel, but looking at it on google maps it seems deserted now.

Cromer is quite nice, but i prefer Wells. Its gets more commercial the closer you get to Sandringham, but then you'd expect that.

Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 23:40:38 »
Travelling back from Norfolk through Lincolnshire as we passed large acres of cauliflower fields the smell was awful it filled the car with the stench of rotting brassica. Would this be the grade two caulies that the government pays the farmer to plow back into the soil?????
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal