Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 1553 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Feathers
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:19:35 »
Sorry if this sounds a daft question but can I put the feathers from my old pillows (just bought nice new ones!) in the compost bin mixed in with the grass cuttings?

Toadspawn

• Acre
Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:55:52 »
You could do, but I would not because they take ages to rot. Put them in a corner and forget about them for a year or two.
I would be inclined to discard them and although the smell is awful I would burn them because if the wind is in the right direction the nearest house is miles away, so no problem.
You could keep them until the spring and then put out in a net or similar for the birds to use for nest material.
Of course you could give the old pillow to a charity shop or somewhere similar.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:39 »
Convert to feather cushions. That's what I intend to do when I can find sewing machine attachments that OH has put 'somewhere safe' ::) ::) ::).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 16:59:10 »
I have done it they just got Mantised in  along with the autums clean up, I don't remember seeing them the next year.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 17:36:49 »
Feathers are a very good source of slow-release nitrogen. Dig in to a brassica bed, or compost. I have found that composting only works well if it is well mixed in with other materials. Not a good job for a windy day :-)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 18:37:00 »
Always chuck feathers from old pillows on to compost heap along with the cotton covers torn into strips - all rots down very well. (Started doing it after discovered feathers from moulting hens decayed very quickly).

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 19:55:19 »
Thanks - I'll wait till the wind drops.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal