Author Topic: Water  (Read 10011 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Water
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 19:09:03 »
Easy. You don't have standpipes, so there's no tap to attach a hose to. We only have water tanks, but there are plenty of them, so no-one has to walk far. Water on all summer - on a timer - from very early morning till dark.

Never had a problem with hoses - they're banned!

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 19:48:03 »
  We have four taps and one small cattle trough for 74 plots, so we some times have to queue for water. hoses are banned

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 19:50:35 »
Anyone with no hosepipes but stand pipes, how do you stop people buying their own hoses and going when there's no one there?

have percussive taps. ( ones you have to push to open)

have it in the conditions of tenancy regarding non-use of hoses.

You couldn't make it up!

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 07:25:48 »
If you don't allow hoses, what about those plot holders who are disabled and elderly and can't manage to carry watering cans?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 14:06:40 »
we are a very small site, only 12 plots, half and third size, I'm disabled, fill the watering can half full and carry it and there is always someone there to help if it gets too much  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 14:12:38 »
That's why we have plenty of tanks. No-one has to walk further than the next-door plot.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 18:03:14 »
In the last year, we have put in 50 water butts, lots have taps on with more attached to them, just can't see why some people, and I'm talking about young, fit people, have to use a hose  ::)

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14:51 »
no water on our site. :'( you are lucky.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:35 »
Troughs about every third plot. Hoses absolutely banned - if they were allowed water charges would probably be massive. Water butts getting very popular - so easy to fit if you have a shed or greenhouse.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:46 »
We have 5 taps between 50 plots.  Hose pipes are only allowed to fill butts though a few people cheat.  Water comes from well, so it might run dry.

Soil drains very quickly very little water holding capability though water table reasonably high normally.  I do a lot of mulching.   But with only one evening of rain in 11 weeks things are very dry here indeed.

I covered one area with compost before the winter and the soil is still moist underneath and the straw on the strawberry patch seems to be doing a great job of holding down the water.

Some people seem to ladle on the water.  Not many people mulch even their runner beans. 

I think that people could do a great deal more to reduce their consumption.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 08:08:36 »
We are a small site with 14 plots, can't use the 15th due to knotweed, and have about half a dozen cattle troughs between us so can't really complain. I actually quite like watering by hand, 2 gallon watering can in each hand up and down is quite a good workout and cheaper than the gym. Hosepipes are banned. Going to ring up some water butts off the shed to cut down usage a bit.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 09:18:34 »
We've got about 80 allotments...no running water provided. We've got about 1/2 dozen communal wells on avenues and few plots and well of their own but genereally people collect the rainwater in drums..plenty of GHs and sheds around here.
Few chaps have water pumps and its mainly those who make use of the wells and they are far too deep for buckets and rope..
There have been odd 'newbie' who have suggested getting mains water on site..but 98% of members have said NO!..far too expensive..and we don't want water companies around sniffing who'd doing what.. ;)
I'm just another few barrell richer again..one of my neighbours works for local bus depot..they get their antifreeze and other that type of stuff delivered in those big blue barrells..once they are empty..I get some .. ;D...and once I got plenty of produce..he gets some.. ;) ;) ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 16:46:39 »
If you don't allow hoses, what about those plot holders who are disabled and elderly and can't manage to carry watering cans?
how do these folk carry home their produce?

can't carry a full can, what's wrong with 1/2 a can @ a time?
you can also get 2 full cans of water in a wheelbarrow
You couldn't make it up!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 19:49:42 »
how do these folk carry home their produce?

can't carry a full can, what's wrong with 1/2 a can @ a time?
you can also get 2 full cans of water in a wheelbarrow

Makes sense to this disabled gardener. As much as I'd love a hose...And I would..... If I can manage a plot (with help) I can get water to the plants.... I was in the ditch today filling a watering can..... Passed it to my daughters' latest who carried it over the fence and to the plot while I ambled round through the site.
There's not much we can't achieve, if we work on it together.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 20:31:22 »
Our society wants us to use unclean run off water from the River  the health and safety issues are untenable.

We have no running water either so its a matter of collecting as much as we can when it rains.

It seems allotments are low on the priorities of many a council.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 21:19:46 by Ben Acre »

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 21:04:35 »
Goodlife thanks for that tip.  Realised I to have a Friend that works for a bus company first blue drums arriving Saturday  ;D ;D
Have been told I can have as many as I need so will ask other plot holders if they would like some.  I take it they probably have to pay to send them to the tip.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 22:05:21 »
Our society wants us to use unclean run off water from the River  the health and safety issues are untenable.
We have no running water either so its a matter of collecting as much as we can when it rains.
It seems allotments are low on the priorities of many a council.

why is the river polluted? have you informed the environment agency?
You couldn't make it up!

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 22:23:55 »
No standpipes on our site - any water is either collected or, as in the last few weeks of no rain,  brought from home in  20ltr tubs. Its a bind sometimes, but easily manageable all the same.  Those with standpipes are lucky!! ;D
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal