Author Topic: Water  (Read 10013 times)

philistine

• Not So New ...
Water
« on: March 27, 2011, 14:34:59 »
Our council owned site is slowly filling up with fellow allotmenteers and some of  new tennents have took on plots that are some distance away from the nearest water supply of which they pay the council
for  is there any maximium distance they should be expected to travel to get water ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 15:23:00 »
I doubt it... as many sites still don't have water. We try to have a tap per eight plots.  :-\

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 17:52:56 »
We have 24 plots on our site and 4 taps.......this all happened before my time but I believe that the council provided the pipes and taps etc and the plot holders did the work themselves.

Maybe you could ask the council if they are willing to do something.They should do something for the money you pay them unless of course,you only pay a peppercorn rent!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

picman

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:56 »
We had 2 taps, for 51 plots, after repeated requests to council ... nothing...  so we bought some pipe made some lockable standpipes and extended it our selves, we were advised on a visit to another site (different borough), If you need something done ... ask the council (documented) , wait... then do it yourself.   

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:14 »
What does it say in the tenancy agreement about the provision of water?  I doubt there's any obligation to provide a convenient tap.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:14:34 »
we have two taps for 37 plots,no one has ever asked for more.we are big on saving rainwater and it does the trick  ;)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:29 »
Do any sites pay their own water bills?

If so, how much a year do you pay and how many plots are on the site?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:00 »
Water bills for five of the six sites in Newbury are available and apparent consumption varies considerably, though I strongly suspect the high-consumption sites have leaks as their consumption continues through the winter.  Per-pole consumptions last year were £2.05/pole, £0.41/pole, £0.53/pole, £1.62/pole, and £0.72/pole.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:35:19 »

24 plots..we pay our own water bill....think it was about £240 last year.....less than what I pay at home!!!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:39:36 »

all of our sites pay their water bills, it works out at £6.50 per plot per year
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:03:57 »
We reckon it works out at about £7:50pa... bills often in excess of £1000... but we are a big site with @180 plots. In a dry year our neighbouring site (212 plots) went over £2,000...  :-X

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:31 »
£600 last year. 100 plots, varying from small starter plots to 15, 20 or 25 poles (but mainly 5 or 10). So, £6 per member. (And a water butt on or near every plot.)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:31:51 »
Thanks all for replying, it's  a great help to have some idea what the charge for water is.

So, how do you spread the cost of the bill?  Is this reflected in the rents or are plot holders asked to pay separately for their water?

It looks like our site is going to have to pay for our water and I am sure there will be moans when the plot holder with half a plot is asked to pay the same as a plot holder with a large plot.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 13:06:05 »
So, how do you spread the cost of the bill?  Is this reflected in the rents or are plot holders asked to pay separately for their water?

Our water is all included in the rent.  Hence full rent for full plots and half rents for half plots.  Tenants whinge about rent increases but it is the water charge increases that are the main contributor to any rise.

We put in extra taps 3 years ago but had to pay for it ourselves from allotment shop funds.  I think the council contributed a small percentage of the costs but am not certain.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 13:32:26 »
Thanks all for replying, it's  a great help to have some idea what the charge for water is.

water supply is metered to all of our sites. all plots are 10 rods (well, most of 'em are) add all bills together, divide by number of plots, = water charges payable per plot = £6.50 for this year (based on last years bills)

water is charged separately,  as not all sites have water supply
hope this helps?
You couldn't make it up!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 13:43:42 »
All our water comes from the sky. No supplied water at all.

2 of the blokeys have wells that had been dug prior to them arriving on site.

Having no water means I garden differently - I only water in seedlings and from then on it they have to cope.

Probably would be different if I didn't have clay which holds the water nicely.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 13:56:20 »
We have two taps for twentyfour allotments but only one tap can be used at any only time because  the water pressure just goes when two taps are being used, also we asked two weeks ago if the water could be turned on, needless to say the request fell on deaf ears but I do have a standpipe key in my garage, ;)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 16:23:54 »
3 tanks between 20 plots.  Still waiting for them to be switch on  :-X no separate charge.
But its tipping it down at the moment so no need to go and water this evening  ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 16:59:30 »

It looks like our site is going to have to pay for our water and I am sure there will be moans when the plot holder with half a plot is asked to pay the same as a plot holder with a large plot.
That was a bone of contention when we had a much lower rent and had to ask for a surcharge.. now the rents cover it so if you have a half plot or four you pay pro-rata..  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 17:36:18 »
Anyone with no hosepipes but stand pipes, how do you stop people buying their own hoses and going when there's no one there?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal