Author Topic: dublin  (Read 862 times)

simmo116

• Acre
dublin
« on: February 11, 2011, 21:01:53 »
hi guys am working in dublin next week swords to be precise. can anyone recomend places to eat/drink things to do etc?
thanx in advance. ;D

gp.girl

• Hectare
Re: dublin
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 21:55:11 »
Botanical gardens are free and interesting, might not work at this time of year though. Greenhouse was big if I remember right but closed when I was there (about five years ago)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: dublin
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 23:30:08 »
Hi

WoW amazing i go over when i can to see the family and bring back a car load of food for when i get home sick! Have a great time Trinity collage - book of kells are well work a visit however so it Arnotts the big department store in town. (watch your wallet in town!!) Lots of bargins to be had there. We were over last summer got 3 sets of bath towels inc massive bath sheets for £10 the lot and great oven dishes £1 each!!

Transport is good and easy to get around if your going to get a hire car insure it to the max if you can lots of pot holes from last year never repaired and after the nasty snow around christmas the roads are not good.

I dont know sword very well (family avoid it as we had an uncle die there the oldest male in my mums family back in the early 80's in a very nasty crash) but as a dublin born lass i can recommend some food/Drinks :)

Soft Drinks - Red Lemonade (TK not nash), club orange (like orangina) and cidona (non-alcoholic) cider :)

Tea - Irish tea is strong taste/colour the brand i drink is lyons which is great but if you want something weaker go for bewleys which i think is weaker but still good.

Bread - All good but the brennans bread is the best cant miss it freshly cooked sliced bread in yellow paper. You will find low fat spead but most people i know use butter.

Food/Snacks -

Crisps - Your either a King Crisp or a Tayto crisp person (personaly i love Tayto) popular also are large bags of popcorn sold in slightly larger size bags to crisps.

Biscuits - Kimberly and Kimberly elite are the best in the world (soft ginger biscuit with marshmellow and in the case of elite dipped in chocolate), you cant get this in the uk but look for raspberry creams

Try looking for spice burgers (tescos sells brand calls walshes ) which are good but butchers tend to do there own which are brilliant and perfect with breakfast (fry up with black and white pudding) or for supper in bread and butter on its own or with an egg. The company closed but there was such a outcry they were taken over and production started again. Most locals cant see the intrest but the ex-pats like me its a taste of home.

Ireland does have tescos etc but local bakers and butchers rule so get some recommendations my family is in Santry near the airport and i can point you at the worlds best butchers there !! When some of my family who worked for the airline lived in the uk he would go over for a few hours and come back with a case load of meat :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal