Author Topic: Climbing Plants  (Read 1990 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Climbing Plants
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:11:06 »
Apologies to those who have read this in "Ponds and Stuff"  Just thought it might be more appropriate here.

Right, here is my problem, I have a large brick garden wall by the side of my pond which to be fair looks quite unsightly.  I'm thinking of using some type of climbing plant to cover the area and was looking for some advice as to which climbers would be best suited.  The wall itself is probably about 4 foot tall and about 12 foot long in total.

Ideally I need something that will be low maintenance (I'm not big on gardening) that will cover the wall quickly (It's quite unsightly at present) and that will look nice as well. - If something that fits the bill can be found that will not shed it's leaves as well (i.e. so they don't fall in the pond) then that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the help

Tony

Kerry

• Hectare
Re:Climbing Plants
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 18:58:23 »
can you tell us:
1. what direction does the wall face?
2. soil type?
3. how much room do you have for the plant to spread outwards, i'm guessing towards the pond?
4. have you any kind of fixings on the wall, if not, is it sound enough to fix things like wires or to hammer in some vine eyes?

this might give me enough clues to send me towards the right section in the books!!

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 19:27:31 »
Thanks Kerry,

The details you need are as follows,  I'm no gardner but by the looks of what my answers are I think we might have our work cut out finding something suitable. anyway hwg

1)  The wall faces in a North Westerly Direction
2)  The soil is mainly clay
3)  The pond Edge is approx 18" from the foot of the wall although If I had the choice I'd rather the plant didn't come that far from the wall.
4)  The wall should be ok to put fixings on, I've had hanging baskets there for the past year or so and I fixed them by drilling holes, raw plugging and then fixing hooks in.

thanks again

tony

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 20:00:00 »
well, no magic wands!
my first thoughts are pretty predictable- pyracntha or ivy.
there are plenty of ivies that are not just green, but green and gold or variagated, also those with larger leaves. you might want to start off with more than 1 plant as you've 12ft along to cover, and it's pretty low maintanance. clip only if required in spring, and of course good for wildlife and will berry when mature.

pyracantha is an evergreen shrub that you can pretty much clip to the size you want, my parents have a large one up to the bedroom windows and across their house, but it doesn't come out further than 1 ft. it has pretty insignificant white flowers in summer but the bonus is the berries in winter, orange or red depending on the variety. some have less vicious thorns than others!

coteneaster also-plenty of those to choose from, some keep their leaves better than others. (try 'google').

you can also get (although unfortunately i don't know much about them) climbing hydrangeas which are supposed to be self clinging, with white lacy flowers spring/summer.

if you're growing something like the pyrancantha or ivy, you could try clematis growing through them to give additional colour at various points. if you go to the rhs website and access their plant selector, you can see all the clematis that are suitable.
maybe someone else will have some more ideas...................... :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 08:08:38 »
Clemitis Armandii, Evergreen, hardy, vigorous, looks great, just clip it back when it gets too large and with the added perfume of almonds when it blooms. You only need one plant as it will layer itself along the bottom of the wall.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal