Author Topic: Clematis in flower  (Read 2277 times)

MrsFrog

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Clematis in flower
« on: December 06, 2004, 18:11:49 »
Despite a couple of hard frosts and a few inches of snow, my C. "The President" has just opened a beautiful purple flower  ??? Is this usual? My climbing fiery nasturtiums are still flowering like mad and growing new leaves, and a rogue tomato seed (probably from a packed lunch!) starting growing by the gate at my son's school a few months ago, it's looking a bit ropey now, but is about 7 inches tall and has flowers on it! I live in Northamptonshire, is this normal growing for this area?? What has everyone else got growing that shouldn't really be?

A confused MrsFrog!  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Clematis in flower
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 23:39:46 »
My weeping willow in the garden has only just started to loose it's leaves, I have self seeded cerinthes all over the garden and in full bloom and my fuschias still look wonderful.  Seems to be a real mixture as some of my big grasses  are now brown and dried, where other things are still lush and green. I guess it depends on the micro-climate of the area and as I understand it, snow is less damaging than hard frosts, bitter winds or heavy rain resulting in waterlogging.  Snow acts like an insulation, think Eskimos in their igloos.  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 09:34:38 »
My Clematis 'William Kennet' has just opened a beautiful blue flower....also have three delphinium blooms, kafir lilies are still going strong the odd rose and even a penstemon still blooming. The fuchsias have only just started to go after the recent overnight frost.  I think our seasons are definitely changing ::) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 19:51:47 »
well, in leicestershire my 'the president' is over now, but does have 2 flushes a year. i too have self seeded cerinthes about, but the bluebells are showing their leaves also!
my mum still has some delphinium spires in colour and my neighbour has his pelargoniums outside, some have been frosted around the edges, but others are opening new buds.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 14:21:32 »
Took the kids for a walk round the neighbourhood yesterday to check out the chrissy lights and passed several climbing roses scrambling over walls still with pretty palest pink flowers on them!

MrsFrog

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 21:05:05 »
I've had all my rose catalogues out this week, so much choice, so little space!   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal