Author Topic: Optimal bean planting day  (Read 6384 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Optimal bean planting day
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 15:55:24 »
If mine go in today it may be sub-optimal as that mouse had some sweetcorn, he's not hungry anymore but the may have friends..  :-X

ugly gourd

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 16:13:54 »
Mine are buggered then Ive only just read this and its the 16th!!! ;D

DaisyDeb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 17:17:59 »
lol you crazy people i love gardeners there so crazy. :)

I don't care when they planted as long as they grow and taste good.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 18:53:20 »
if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D
[/quote my O.H. practices Tai-Chi, but usually with a sword in her hands!!

;D   ;D   ;D
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 18:57:37 »
seriously, I transplanted 10 runner beans today, protected by a glass surround ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 06:17:58 »
if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

;D   ;D   ;D

:D Is your O.H. a  Jedi knight?

amphibian

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 06:28:48 »
Is Johnnie Walker a well know horticulturalist?  Excuse my ignorance - I'm a radio 3 and 4 man myself.

To be honest I'm barely aware of radio one and two, my knowledge of them extends to knowing they're not for me and little further.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 06:32:06 »
If in doubt, You might prefer to get the salad spinner at an angle and rotate it, using a compass to give you the ideal position.

;D   ;D   ;D   

amphibian

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 06:42:36 »
I firmly believe this 'lunar' stuff is sheer rubbish. But if it floats your boat and you enjoy your gardening more with it then why not.

Spinning your beans should also be beneficial. :P

The fact is, the earth and the moon spin as a pair, you know, a bit like that Irish dance scene in "Titanic". That's why the tide is high on the side of Earth opposite the moon, as well as on the moon side. The spinning forces are equal and opposite to the moon's gravity.

Mind you, it would be a boring thing to do. To get the minute force in question, I suspect (I can work it out if you like) that if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

Maybe I'll take my beans to work and spin them in one of the centrifuges at 30,000rpm. Those without access to a centrifuge could spin them in their washing machines. I feel a little trial coming on.

amphibian

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 06:46:54 »
I firmly believe this 'lunar' stuff is sheer rubbish. But if it floats your boat and you enjoy your gardening more with it then why not.

Spinning your beans should also be beneficial. :P

The fact is, the earth and the moon spin as a pair, you know, a bit like that Irish dance scene in "Titanic". That's why the tide is high on the side of Earth opposite the moon, as well as on the moon side. The spinning forces are equal and opposite to the moon's gravity.

Mind you, it would be a boring thing to do. To get the minute force in question, I suspect (I can work it out if you like) that if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

Maybe I'll take my beans to work and spin them in one of the centrifuges at 30,000rpm, they even happen to spin in the right direction. Those without access to a centrifuge could spin them in a suitably orientated washing machine, maybe a trip to a launderette would yield a suitably orientated washing machine if their home machine is not orientated auspiciously. I feel a little trial coming on.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 08:40:32 »
There is a very good reason for spinning the beans before planting. It makes them dizzy so  they twist round the canes as they grow.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 08:55:56 »
My Climbing French Beans are damned then.........they are still in their packets!

I will try a bit of swinging around before planting if anyone thinks it will help ;D, no-one will bat an eyelid at home as they think I lost the plot long ago......... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 09:33:43 »
Mine too, but if there are no more dead mice in the big greenhouse they are going in today... I won't be twirling round with mine there isn't room in there now...  :-X

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:12 »
There is a very good reason for spinning the beans before planting. It makes them dizzy so  they twist round the canes as they grow.

Well that's the best and most plausible reason I've heard so far  ;D
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 10:34:30 »
Perhaps playing them a bit of pop music and then they will get in the swing of things.  Maybe a bit of the twist will get them going round the canes.  Old time music is good too for the has beens. ;D ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 10:40:19 »
I was listening to radio 2 on the way to work this morning and Johnny Walker said he heard the 15 May is the optimal day for planting runner beans.  A day early or a day late then the yeild would suffer.

Every heard of this?  How many other oddities do you know about?

surely some mistake here - just heard Dave Lee Travis say it's the 19th

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 11:08:08 »
Well my optimal planting day is today - why? because it's the only day I can do it thats why!  I'm sure they don't lmow the difference!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 12:49:38 »

;D   ;D   ;D

:D Is your O.H. a  Jedi knight?
no, she just practices an old form of tai-chi, with and without sword. (not yer modern lightweight short-form tai-chi) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 14:14:05 »
Perhaps playing them a bit of pop music and then they will get in the swing of things.  Maybe a bit of the twist will get them going round the canes.  Old time music is good too for the has beens. ;D ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 14:16:51 »
Ignore previous post pressed to soon, But if they are saved seeds you could play Let's Twist Again (like we did last Summer.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal