Author Topic: Optimal bean planting day  (Read 6389 times)

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
Optimal bean planting day
« on: May 15, 2009, 20:57:32 »
I was listening to radio 2 on the way to work this morning and Johnny Walker said he heard the 15 May is the optimal day for planting runner beans.  A day early or a day late then the yeild would suffer.

Every heard of this?  How many other oddities do you know about?
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Optimal bean planting day
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 21:00:44 »
How does he work that out? All gardening is local; the optimal day will depend on the conditions where you live, and on the weather that year. Is he suggesting the same day would be appropriate from Freetown to Murmansk?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 21:27:39 »
...and not least whether you have time on that day. No time meself until next week and I bet mine are as good as always.  ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 21:35:33 »
Is Johnnie Walker a well know horticulturalist?  Excuse my ignorance - I'm a radio 3 and 4 man myself.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 21:40:38 »
Is Johnnie Walker a well know horticulturalist?

It's made me a pissedhorticult a few times.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 21:41:27 »
 ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 21:42:47 »

;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 22:06:40 »
How does he work that out? All gardening is local; the optimal day will depend on the conditions where you live, and on the weather that year.

Also, if your a looney who plants to the tune of the moon then today, being a root day, would have been totally the wrong day anyway...
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 22:15:45 »
Lunar planting - generally they are specific on what time too...06:50!! rise and shine lol ;D

Doh! just checked today is the 15th will torch light effect the plants? or shall I cut paper to make my torch like a waning moon??
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 22:21:52 by 70fingers »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 22:19:37 »
My runner beans have planted and hope they are enjoying the lovely rain.  If not I have plenty more to go in later.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 22:32:06 »

;D me too!
Keep Calm and Carry On

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 23:34:51 »
I firmly believe this 'lunar' stuff is sheer rubbish. But if it floats your boat and you enjoy your gardening more with it then why not.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 23:37:34 by sawfish »

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:25:33 »
I firmly believe this 'lunar' stuff is sheer rubbish. But if it floats your boat and you enjoy your gardening more with it then why not.

Spinning your beans should also be beneficial. :P

The fact is, the earth and the moon spin as a pair, you know, a bit like that Irish dance scene in "Titanic". That's why the tide is high on the side of Earth opposite the moon, as well as on the moon side. The spinning forces are equal and opposite to the moon's gravity.

Mind you, it would be a boring thing to do. To get the minute force in question, I suspect (I can work it out if you like) that if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:36:38 by Bjerreby »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 06:26:54 »
if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

;D   ;D   ;D

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 06:30:10 »
You don't need to be an expert to have an opinion.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:35:56 »

The fact is, the earth and the moon spin as a pair, you know, a bit like that Irish dance scene in "Titanic". That's why the tide is high on the side of Earth opposite the moon, as well as on the moon side. The spinning forces are equal and opposite to the moon's gravity.

Mind you, it would be a boring thing to do. To get the minute force in question, I suspect (I can work it out if you like) that if we hold a bean at arms length, then turn through 360 degrees taking 2 minutes to do it, then we have simulated the tide. Hmmmm, maybe we should do it in a group. People will think we are practicing tai chi.  ;D

Can i put them in the washing machine on spin? :)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 07:45:55 »
i planted some last sunday and cvhecked them yesterday - they look good and haven't been eaten.  Pretty optimal.  As said above, I have a tray of 24 various beans on the window sill, so if they fail I have the backups in place!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:55:55 »
Doh! just checked today is the 15th will torch light effect the plants? or shall I cut paper to make my torch like a waning moon??

You'll need to encase your torch in lead to stop the gravitational effect of it's light interfering with the gravitational effect of the moon, otherwise your beans will get totally confused.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 14:57:05 »

Can i put them in the washing machine on spin? :)

Now be careful of putting them on a spin cycle. Some machines go clockwise and others go anitclockwise dependant on whether the machine is housed facing North or South could make all the difference.

The spin has to go west to east. I would have a huge problem with it because my spin would take the beans in a north to south movement. So that may delay them, making them wait for summer in Australia.

If in doubt, You might prefer to get the salad spinner at an angle and rotate it, using a compass to give you the ideal position.

Hope that helps

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 15:45:07 »
Some packets of seeds from Lidl have 10th May as the date. 

Perhaps we need to do some kind of experiment and see if the moon cycles do actually work.  There are many people who believe in biodynamic gardening.  I think that the tides also have an influence.  Certainly various ancient peoples used the moon to decide on their planting plans. 

Presume people feel that a particular day is the day to sow beans.  What is it that makes gardeners decide on the right moment to do something?

I once did an experience at work with a collegue who said nothing would grow.  We used half a packet of tomato seeds and everything else was the same. except the moment of sowing.  My seeds grew and my collegues did not. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal