Author Topic: Sweet Peas.  (Read 1531 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Sweet Peas.
« on: May 27, 2008, 20:08:28 »
I have 2 tubs of sweet peas (wigwam fashion) The sweet Peas in one tub are going great guns, just beginning to flower and looking very healthy. The ones in the second tub are getting quite a few yellow leaves and not growing so fast, although 1 or 2 flowers showing. I sowed a lot of seeds in Oct 2007 and then again couple of months later. Some were from new seed and some from my own saved seeds. Any ideas please? Both tubs have the same compost and the 2 tubs stand a couple of feet from each other.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Sweet Peas.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 20:13:25 »
we shoved hanging basket feed in with ours, and water retaining gel..hope that helps  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 20:14:37 »
Is there any sign of greenfly on the affected plant Lorna?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 20:20:46 »
Yes Manic I did the same in all the hanging baskets and tubs. I should have marked which were new seed and which were saved, that may have come up with an answer.
No Georgie no sign of anything. I had a close look today and even the new leaves just under the flower have gone limp/mottled and probably by tomorrow they will be yellow.
Maybe I will discard the ones in that tub as I just can't see them coming good.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 20:28:11 »
Hmmm, could be a virus.  I'd move them well away from the healthy tub, give them a spray with Epsom Salts (in case it's a deficiency) and then chuck 'em if there is no sign of improvement in a week.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 20:32:48 »
Georgie Good advice, I will do that in the morning. That was what I was concerned about that the healthy tub may get affected.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:34:20 »
May be something like the dreaded weevil in the poorly tub... look for grubs if you ditch it...  :-\

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:57:49 »
saddad Will do, I am curious as to what has caused it.

Georgie before I dump going to try Epsom Salts ( after I move the tub to a different part of the garden) Tell me more please... strength to spray?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 20:18:17 »
saddad Will do, I am curious as to what has caused it.

Georgie before I dump going to try Epsom Salts ( after I move the tub to a different part of the garden) Tell me more please... strength to spray?

Oh heck, Lorna, I can't remember. About half a teaspoon to a litre is it?  Summat like that!  I think you'll find it says so on the packet.

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal