Author Topic: Trying new concept with monarda  (Read 1643 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Trying new concept with monarda
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:06 »
Other summers I've grown red shaggy monarda in one area which the hummingbirds love, it blooms heavily once then looks pretty bad and mildewed, and if cut back the second blooming is fairly puny and not worth much.

So this year I've pinched back the monarda in the front half of the monarda bed and am letting the back half grow and flower at its normal rate.I'm assuming the pinched back front area will bloom later thus extending the mpnarda season. And, after the taller ones in the back are finished their first bloom they'll be removed and replaced by some tall zinnias that are seedling sized now in pots awaiting their turn in the limelight.  The front row though will be allowed to complete its cycle and will provide the monarda plants for next year. At least that is the plan.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Trying new concept with monarda
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:29:45 »
hummingbirds!

ever tried making Oswego tea?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:32 »
Sounds sensible but not really on for us in the chilly UK this season... roll on global warming!!  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:12:04 »
but you folks can grow GREAT sweetpeas. Mine are just creeping along and we've had some hot days already.

Oswego Tea, the name from the New York Indian word and used by the colonists during our war with your King George. The tea tastes okay but I'd much rather drink Earl Gray!  8)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:21:58 »
never had the nerve to make Oswego tea. You probably only drank it because you threw the nice stuff into Boston Harbour. It's probably ready by now.  :D

Hummingbirds! What types are they? Not that i'm jealous or nothing

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:45 »
never had the nerve to make Oswego tea. You probably only drank it because you threw the nice stuff into Boston Harbour. It's probably ready by now.  :D

Hummingbirds! What types are they? Not that i'm jealous or nothing
Ruby throated hummers. Their little wings beat so fast the monarda petals fly off like they were caught in a buzz saw sometimes!  It is hard to think they are a bird they're so tiny.
The plant is a member of the mint family, quite safe to drink. But I'm growing anise hyssop which makes a pleasant herbal tea (with lots of sugar ;D) and grows rampantly here and dries well also. Ever try it?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 13:20:17 »
off to Google red throated hummers. Only found out last year that some of your hummingbirds migrate as far up as Alaska

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal