Author Topic: Erecting a greenhouse  (Read 3685 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
Erecting a greenhouse
« on: March 16, 2007, 15:56:58 »
I have bought a polycarbonate 6 by 4 greenhouse with base asnd want to put it at the bottom of my garden on the grass.I am going to dig a plot say 6 inches deep so the greenhouse can sit into but wondered should i put anything else down like slabs or wood before the greenhouse base.
I guess it wont more as it will be below grass level.

I hope my greenhouse is easier to put up than some i have read about.My DIY is rubbish but hoping my wife will be on hand to rescue me.

Any advise will be helpful

Rob

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Erecting a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 16:40:27 »
read the iinstructions well before you start , not like my hubbie who resorts to them when all else fails. You will be fine. Don't forget the pic when it's finished tomorrow.lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 14:33:50 »
The main thing with poly-houses is the weight, or lack of it. Some have bars that run sideways across the base, these can be weighted easily enough. I don't see the point in digging down. 1; it won't make it any more stable, 2; It means you will create a hollow for water to sit in, 3; your access height will reduce by that much as will your light into it.
Not sinking it would also give you the option of moving it easier later if you wanted to.
Just make sure it's held down firm. Square 2x2 posts at corners will give you anchor points and help against sideways movement. A few concrete slabs inside will give you a dry standing area to work on.
Pic's...pic's...pic's.

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 22:08:59 »
The main thing with poly-houses is the weight, or lack of it. Some have bars that run sideways across the base, these can be weighted easily enough. I don't see the point in digging down. 1; it won't make it any more stable, 2; It means you will create a hollow for water to sit in, 3; your access height will reduce by that much as will your light into it.
Not sinking it would also give you the option of moving it easier later if you wanted to.
Just make sure it's held down firm. Square 2x2 posts at corners will give you anchor points and help against sideways movement. A few concrete slabs inside will give you a dry standing area to work on.
Pic's...pic's...pic's.

3;I don't see any lose in height as he stated it has a base which i guess is about 6" high
 and does wood not rot I use the legs of the cheep metal shelving as this can be hammered in the ground then bolted to greenhouse using the grove in the greenhouse uprights .
Yes I know metal rots aswell but takes a lot longer and is easy fixing to greenhouse

I have never had the luxury of instructions with any of the five i've owned but the it's child's play putting them up.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 22:17:24 »
That's not how I read the post, Hot House, and every greenhouse I have erected has not included the base in the height quoted as the base is almost always an option. Unless it's an 'odd-ball' 6x4 is a standard size not including base.

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 22:32:52 »
Well he did say "I have bought a polycarbonate 6 by 4 greenhouse with base " this I took 2b the add on type, so does one not have too step over this when entering ones greenhouse?

so is entry height not the same with or without said base?

Infact stepping down is better for ones head as the lead foot enters so it descends and the hole body with it, so those of us over door height mite have less scars and back ache from bending all day :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 22:43:22 by Hot House »

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 16:44:14 »
Thanks chaps for your advise, i shall try this weekend as the rugby's finished now so no distractions.Saves me digging a 6 by 4 hole anyway, but have to get hold of planks of wood/metal

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:22:54 »
can i ask what brand you bought?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal