Author Topic: propagator and vermiculite  (Read 2436 times)

oubykh

• Half Acre
propagator and vermiculite
« on: March 21, 2007, 18:32:22 »
i have just got my first propagator as the top of the boiler is a little insufficient for my needs now!! I have started some chillis in a compost/vermiculite mix, but upon reading the instructions of the propagator it says not to use vermiculite or similar, so i'm unsure whether to transfer the pots across from the boiler.

Anyone heard of this before, is it just over cautious safety instructions? and does anyone use it with no problems?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: propagator and vermiculite
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 18:40:57 »
I don't think it means vermiculite as part of a soil mix, my guess is they mean as a bed. i.e. similar to the other thread re capillary matting and/or sand.

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 20:23:08 »
thanks for replying.

i've just rechecked the instructions and it does say 'as part of a compost mix'.  What you suggested would make more sense though!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 20:28:01 by oubykh »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:39 »
By the way TG,  another suggestion to make the heat distribution more even is to line with silver foil before putting matting or sand etc on top.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:56:54 »
Have a look at this oubykh; http://tinyurl.com/39mb7g

Ok I wouldn't expect them to run their product down but it does give me the impression that it is only the makers of your propagator that has got it wrong  ??? :o

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 14:31:48 »
Hi, I often use vermicukite as part of a compost mix, good when planting seeds as it lightens the compost and improves drainage.
I have seen Monty using it on telly - if it's good enought for him....
Terri ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 22:27:02 »
I usually use it mixed with compost for my seeds in a heated propagator; so far no problems.

I like the idea of the foil on the base to even the heat out though, I had noticed one end seems to get warmer than the other!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 19:30:03 »
thanks for all the info. propagator now on and warming things nicely  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:44:00 »
I had my monthly pilgrimage to the pub yesterday where a few of us 'allotmenteers' get together each month and put the world and our gardens/plots to right.

What we tend to do at this time of year is compare notes on what is growing well (or not),and we arrange to swap this for that.

In this way; we can each  try out things we have not grown before e.g.  new varieties and products, or if we have had a seed failure we help each other out.

Back to the point;  I brought up this subject (vermiculite in a propagator) and the only thing we could think of is; vermiculite may have a metallic content which might affect the electrics of the propagator or worse still the electric/metal/water content might be dangerous in certain instances.

Let me add we are not experts in this field it was just something to to talk about over our pints, and this was our conclusions.

Anybody any further thoughts on this??   

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:17:47 »
i think your conclusions are right, the the company are just protecting themselves from a litigious society.

Well after about 10 days everything is germinating nicely and i have yet to burn the house down so a good result i think! ;)

plus my greenhouse has just arrived so somewhere to move things onto as well soon. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal