Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 2574 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Turkeys
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:42:05 »
Just wondered if anyone else is running  a few turkeys on  for Christmas ...
Got these at month old they are  about 11 weeks old now...

cheers.. Jim
Cheers .. Jim

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 13:04:56 »
Oh they look lovely birds so healthy and bright,
what weight do you hope for at 17/18 weeks old.
how many male / female in the bunch?
I like the idea of growing you own bird for xmas the taste would be so much better than shop frozen ones and they dont suffer like the farmed ones.
But I know I could not kill them in the end have to get someone else to do it.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 14:40:02 »
Jim out of interest do you slaughter them or do you have to get someone in? I would love to look after chicken/turkeys to eat but just don't have the room.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 18:51:21 »
i just came into possesion of two turkeys  a sad story i wont go in to right now but they wont be supplying me with xmas dinner this year  or any other year for that  they been through enough as it is.

but i did grow my own on last yr and delicious they where to

i also got a gander this week also but hes so sad right now pining for his mate who was killed  last weekend by a fox

so i have two sad turkeys and a sad gander but hopfully they should recover ok  with TLC AND  a loving home regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 19:11:05 »
Good size for Xmas, all poults was wondering about the one at the back on the left stands like a stag ( now I know the right name) or is it the top poult?
Do keep us posted on photos, are they on growers pellets like hens or do they have different food out of interest. I know nothing about turkeys.
Slyfox-mal
Pity about the gander, and your turkeys you want to start another thread about them.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 20:16:43 »
yes please do Mal.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 23:25:43 »
Nice looking birds there Jim. 

Mal, did you manage to rescue the birds you were bothered about at the weekend??  Are they the birds you have talked about in this thread?   I am pleased to hear you doing that, poor things.   :D :D :D

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:05:36 »
Dressed em yesterday smallest dresed out to 13lb biggest was 17 and half ..They were fed on turkey growers pellets ,corn ..And greens hung up for em to pick at ..

Best wishes to all from Me and Mine ... cheers Jim ...
Cheers .. Jim

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 10:39:20 »
What a marvellous feeling that must be growmore :D
Thank you for allowing us to enjoy by proxy! ;D

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 12:42:59 »
I was saying to my husband this morn maybe my goal for next year is to feed and eat our own turkey. What age do you slaughter at?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 13:26:14 »
Jim They bring back memories :) When we had a house with land and buildings (mid 70's to mid 80's) apart from all the pigs, each year we always had about a dozen turkeys and 50 capons. (I don't think you are allowed to insert pellets for capons now). Supplied friends, family and ourselves. At one time we had a plucking machine, that was fun! We always had to tell the children we were not eating our own turkeys or pigs otherwise they wouldn't eat them. I miss those days.
Happy eating.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 13:32:17 »
My neighbour has done a dozen for people this chrimbo. Three days ago they were all taken from the cree and are now all nicely prepared for the grand feast.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal