Author Topic: wat will i need to start with  (Read 3884 times)

sid

• Half Acre
wat will i need to start with
« on: December 06, 2006, 18:35:17 »
hi i am after getting 6 hens never keept them b4 so wat do you think i should have in ready for them i know about corn and warter thats about it though hope you can let me know thanks  sid

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: wat will i need to start with
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 19:14:18 »
Before you get them ensure you have a solid chicken cree with waterproof roof and surrounding fence of 6-8ft high. Mine is 1ft off the ground with the gap surrounded by mesh to prevent rats nesting.

I have also put fine mesh wiring over the surrounding fence up to 2ft high so they dont squeeze through.

You may want to put netting over the roof area to stop them flying away unless you intend to clip their wings.

Ensure cree is off the ground

Have hatch entrance for when the door is closed - but ensure it can be sealed at night when they are in.

Inside - 1x water and 2x feed containers,(you need 2 because of weaker birds being bullied as they may end up with malnutrition otherwise.) nesting areas, perch, window for light.

Outside - water and feeding containers. I also have a perch outside too.

Food depends on age of hens and if they are for fattening for the table or laying eggs. Check with pet supply store depending on what you choose or post on here when you are ready.

Straw for the beds.

I will take some photos of what I have and post them on here tomorrow. Picture paints a thousand words and all that.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 22:35:01 »
Oh congrats,
We started off with a 6X4 garden shed ( old one in the garden) to that OH made a hole in the side and did a door so they could be let out into the run. Which he built 6X13 ft with timber uprights and chicken wire ( 4ft wide) attached a foot of the wire was buried into the ground.
I have a solid roof over run one side and a lift off one the other to get in and out its 3ft high. base of run is on soil but we do have 3 paving slabs by shed.
Inside I have a stake from one corner to other as a purch and hubby built the nest boxes ( have used cardboard boxes for pullets as nest boxes as they trash everything and enjoy it) I use woodshavings on floor have used straw that ok stay away from hay not good for hens.
Food layers pellets ( that has everything in it) corn, cut maise kitchen scraps in the afternoon early evening they love greens as well.
some grit is also helpfull , just make sure there is plenty of food for all and fresh water daliy.
Ours are feed in the run and now I use plastic or china bowls so much easier than the shop bought ones.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:59:25 »
If they are chickens you will need chick crumbs, if they are hens get layers pellets. By feeding them these you will give them all the necesary minerals and nutrients, but I hope they will have a chance to free range and eat worms and things.
Oh and grit or something if they are enclosed to help there crops break down the food, and I think its oyster shell to help develop good egg shells, ask at the shop.
A good water container that will disppense as they need it and I would say hold as a minimum a gallon if you check them every day.
A night shelter with perches and a covered box area for laying. It should be closed at night as the fox will get in.
Thats the most urgent things.

Tensing

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:34 »
hi i am after getting 6 hens never keept them b4 so wat do you think i should have in ready for them i know about corn and warter thats about it though hope you can let me know thanks  sid

Sid, you are from Doncaster area aren't you. If you can get up to Selby Auction Mart then I would recommend it. Alternate Saturdays they have a poultry and misc sale, they always have hen huts large and small for sale, both new and second hand. They also have other items like rolls of chicken wire, feeders etc. Aswell as having some nice birds to look at.
There is a sale this weekend starts about 10.00 if I remeber rightly, get there a bit early to register for a buyers number.

There is also a feed store there selling layers pellets, mixed corn etc.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:02 »
Also can thoroughly recommend SlyFox Mals Ebook on poultry keeping.
Gardening is the great leveller.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:23:37 »
thanks all been busy today  got the fence up it is 7 foot sorted out a hen house for them just got to go shopping now for the other things so now all i have to do is get sume chucks thanks again i will put sume pics up when i have it all sorted

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 13:25:17 »
Photos as promised.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 13:30:21 »
You cant se the chicken wire the bottom 2ft  of the fence. You can see the mesh round the base of the cree.

Turned the side entrance picture round for you :-[ ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 19:22:20 »
I recommend louse powder and flubenvet wormer as an essential!

Feed - decide between mash or pellets. I feed mine mostly wheat and corn in the winter as they lay much less but boost it up with a course ground mash in the summer when they are laying as it is more expensive but full of more nutrients.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 20:27:55 »
I used to feed mash as that was what was recommended but they never seemed to like it & it used to be wasted so I tried pelletts & they much prefer them along with mixed corn. 

Good luck with the chooks, Sid.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 11:58:23 »
I also feed 'em pellets and corn. They always empty the trough :D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 20:05:26 »
Fabulous set up you have there kt...choox look fine too ;D

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 19:15:06 »
thanks for the plug on the book Eric :)
 before anybody gets birds or any other animal for that matter i always recommend reading up on the subject first
and remember hens need a lot of attention  this may not seem so but you have to be there twice a day to open up and to lock them away at night
 this is every day  its a big responsability these birds/animals rely on you for everything food water shelter and protection from predators four legged and two legged
 any how i think Ive made my point good luck 
              kindest regards Mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 11:12:13 »
And I'll be there twice on chrimbo day too

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal