Author Topic: Just coming into flower!  (Read 2798 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Just coming into flower!
« on: October 17, 2005, 14:22:07 »
6 weeks or so, I took a cutting from a tomato plant, and you know, it is growing and has loads of flowers!  I am shaking the plant to try and pollinate it, and have now lagged the house of green so am keeping everything crossed that I might get a tom or two!  My aubergine plants are still covered in flowers and little fruits are getting bigger!  I have a normal light in the greenhouse, do you think they might all benefit from having it turned on for a bit as it gets darker, or do you have to use those daylight bulb thingys??

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Just coming into flower!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 19:12:49 »
plants need UV light dont they??  so you need a UV bulb i think.

i suppose an extra hour in the morning and at nigth will help them grow.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:58:12 »
I had some Tiny Tim tomatoes years ago which I plonked in an unheated lean-to conservatory.  They were still fruiting in December, and only got grubbed out cos my flatmates kept whinging about how huge the plants were by then!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 16:45:30 »
EJ - a normal light bulb won't help much, all the proper supplementary lighting types are shown on web pages dealing with those specific types of lighting for glasshouses - however, fluorescent tubes have some value if placed relatively close to plants - say 18" - 24".

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 18:23:17 »
Oh well, was just a thought.  I do not want this little experiment to cost me financially, so I will just leave the plants to it and see if any fruit sets and the aubs ripen.

How are the Koala's Jenny??  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 20:58:47 »
EJ  I am looking at a lovely pair of Koala's... Mother and baby. Oh well tis only on a postcard received yesterday from  nephew in Australia ;D He is on a months holiday. It cosy 110cents postage, just curious does anybody know what that is in sterling??  Lorna.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 22:44:38 »
$1.10 = £0.50

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:36 »
Adam. Thankyou kind sir. Lorna

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 18:10:01 »
Oh well, was just a thought.  I do not want this little experiment to cost me financially, so I will just leave the plants to it and see if any fruit sets and the aubs ripen.

How are the Koala's Jenny??  ;D

Emmajane, good likeness but, I thought you had a car?? LOL :) :) :) where do you park it up?? the broom cupboard!!  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:34:48 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal