Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
JanG I've noticed this year over winter the Purple Sprouting Broccoli were exceptionally tall as were the Brussels Sprouts so I wondered if they were stretching for the light. Not noticed a problem in summer over the years.
Another problem is the eyelets that scaffolders use to attach it to the scaffolding can be accessed by insects as you point out and often the lines of them down the middle seem to split in strong winds.
I use rigid netting with 7mm gauge mesh on my brassicas. The butterflies can't get through it but can lay eggs through it if there's a leaf in range. It cuts out a bit of light but not enough to seem to be an issue.

I use 19mm gauge flexible netting on my peas and fruit. It's easier to store than the rigid netting. The pigeons will reach through from a convenient perch (such as the hoops!), so you need to take that into account in the design.
I use debris netting and haven't noticed any problems with light levels.
Edible Plants / Re: Frost damage to potato's
« Last post by saddad on Yesterday at 08:09:50 »
Same here, only got the last planted this week....... too wet and cold until quite recently
I use debris netting for brassicas too. I haven’t been aware of any problems with lack of light. All kinds of brassicas develop well. I’m wondering whether you’ve noticed any problems with your brassicas which might be caused by poor light?
When butterflies have found a way in I have usually found that there’s a small hole somewhere or I hadn’t pegged it down quite well enough. I’ve heard of people sowing up the black seams, which tend to have bigger gaps, but I’ve not done that and haven’t felt the need to.
The alternatives are black butterfly netting, either the softer kind or the more obviously plastic stiffer kind. . Both are more expensive. The softer kind catch and are rather easily damaged I find, and the stiffer kind is just not as pleasant to handle. I imagine they let more light in though.
And then there’s mesh such as Enviromesh.  I don’t know how the light filtration compares but again it’s quite expensive.
Brassicas can stand a certain amount of shade so my own feeling is that debris netting works well but I’d be interested to know your experiences, G the P.
For many years to prevent devastation of our brassicas by the local large population of wood pigeons I and others on my site have used scaffolders debris netting  supported by hoops to cover them. Its supposed to stop butterflies getting in but I am more sceptical about the latter. Problem is though I think it blocks off a fair amount of light. Does anyone use an alternative?
« Last post by George the Pigman on April 30, 2024, 19:59:06 »
They should survive.
Not a problem for me as I haven't been able to plant any yet. Neither have most of my allotment colleagues. The weather here in Birmingham has been so wet for several months we have been unable to work the soil or plant until now.
« Last post by Paulh on April 29, 2024, 18:45:35 »
I'd add that while generally the affected shoots grow on and new shoots will still emerge, occasionally I've had plants where the shoot has gone mushy and the rot moved down into the tuber, so end of plant. If the damage is more than a "burning" of the leaves, keep an eye on them and perhaps cut off the stems at a sound spot.
« Last post by Tee Gee on April 29, 2024, 16:54:31 »
I used to earth them up after they appeared above the soil then I earthed them by burying them again. This gave me another 2-3 weeks for them to appear again when hopefully all the late frosts were over. I sometimes think this method gave me an extra truss of potatoes with the earthing up.
« Last post by lezelle on April 29, 2024, 13:58:03 »
Hi BarriedaleNick, Thanks for your reply it has upped my confidence no end. I will keep a close eye on them and the weather. I have never had this happen before and those in a pot in the greenhouse are lovely. Thanks again
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal