Author Topic: Plant food........HELP!!!!!  (Read 1559 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Plant food........HELP!!!!!
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:38:05 »
Went to the local garden centre today to buy some extra nutrients for the plot & the greenhouse but left without buying anything.   They had such a large range I became confused by everything on offer.   There seemed to be a feed for just about every plant going.   What I really want is a plant food that I can feed to everything.

I know tomato food can be used on tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers & strawberries but can it be used on any thing else ( i.e mellons & aubergines). 

Would tomato food work just as well on the plot or would pelleted chicken poo be better?

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Plant food........HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 07:10:06 »
I would go with the chicken poo CC.  That was all that I was able to put on my plot the first year and it was wonderful stuff.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:13:31 »
I use chicken poo too! And blood fish n bone. DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:54:34 »
I've created raised beds at the lottie which are covered in porous membrane to keep the weeds down.   Before putting the membrane down I gave the soil a general helping of "growmore" pelleted fertilizer. 

If I use pelleted chicken poo do I need to lift the membrane or can I just scatter the pellets on top of the membrane then water well & let the poo pellets dissolve slowly.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 13:11:01 »
Tomato feed is good for anything that produces flowers and then we eat the fruit. They need potassium.

Chicken pellets are high in nitrogen which helps the leaves grow. So any leafy veg will appreciate that. And I also find it's good to help plants establish (everything gets a good sprinkling on planting).

Finally there's phosphates which help develop roots. All plants need this. If you're not veggie/vegan use blood fish and bone.

I would avoid growmore as it's not organic and will kill the helpful bacteria and mean you have to use more and more fertiliser each year. (organic rant over!)

I think that's right anyway as I'm just learning it myself!
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal