Author Topic: What to clean Portland stone with??  (Read 6916 times)

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
What to clean Portland stone with??
« on: May 28, 2005, 14:49:51 »
:) Hi all, Anybody got any ideas what I should clean Portland stone with  ??? It has lichens of all colours & types growing on three sides, which are lovely & I want to keep of course, but I have this green algae type stuff on the other side where plants have been up close to it :( I would like to keep this side of the stone clean. I have been told not to use bleach or the like as it is quite well fossilised & that would damage it. :(  Have used soap & water so far but it doesn't really get it off. ??? ::) So any help appreciated, thanks  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: What to clean Portland stone with??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 15:53:47 »
My husband has taken apart a rockery wall and is rebuilding it.  He has been using a cheap pressure hose not a very powerful one and it has been just enough to remove the algae and leave the lichens.  I don't know if you have enough stone to warrant the expenditure, we have 100ft wall so £40 was worth it as it is taking weeks and we couldn't have kept hiring one each weekend.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 11:26:26 »
how big is the rock

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 18:14:09 »
:) It's about 2' high & the side that the algae is on doesn't get much sun :'( I have no power or running water there either :'( so any ideas thanks  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 19:29:02 »
scrubbing brush and water then i think
all washed up there sorry

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 20:33:51 »
Bleach, watered down and paintbrushed on at night, hosed off the next morning, repeat until clean.( Used to clean headstones) Works well on purbeck, portland and granite but do not use it on marble.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal