Author Topic: Squatters takeover allotment shed  (Read 6955 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Squatters takeover allotment shed
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 21:23:56 »
I'm not of a violent or confrontational nature but I think you should torch the ar****les out

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2005, 12:07:19 »
;D Tee hee ;D same here ;D Tee hee, I love wood ;D

What is it with men and wood??

My dad hordes the stuff. A few years ago my mum suggested he make her a computer table for Christmas. He looked thoughtful for a few seconds then said "ok - but I don't know where I'll get the wood.....!"

Looks like there is some old shed wood going begging in Cleathorpes!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 16:53:38 »
love my shed and feel very lucky that we do not suffer from vandalism/thefts round here (hope they weren't famous last words.... :-\).  I have nice comfy old recliner deck chair and apart from the spiders it is very pleasant!

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 17:59:54 »
Im sorry, but if the authoroties wont do their job, plan action.
Id certainly torch the place, and if it persists, have some heavies organized.
These sort of people thrive on the ineffectual nature of beurocracy
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 13:52:46 »
Got a calor gas fire in my shed, as well as books to read while it is raining! Ooo and cuppas, biccies (if my son hasn't left the lid off and made them go stale/sodden). He has a radio with clock in there!

oooh - gas fire!
Round here that would make a lovely explosion.

I have a clip top jar of choc chip cookies in mine in case of the wobbles (of course) which, thanks to the seal, won't let the (small) pests in. The big ones with opposable thumbs would probably eat the lot.  If I don't beat them to it!

moonbells
  (off to look if Argos has any one-ring camping stoves)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 15:42:43 »
suggestion
if they are druggies
well they are human and need to eat and drink
when they go out distroy there shed
if they moved int my shed when i get one my job as a rat catcher would be helpful as i would let them out in the shed and well no one likes wild rats
shall i send some down to you all
matt

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 23:15:35 »
If they do go out then all you need to do is secure the property. If they then re-enter they are committing a criminal offence and the police can take action without a court order. Make sure you have a witness to the fact you've secured the premises.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 10:36:11 »
Step 1.when wind is blowing onto shed, a nice ornamental tyre filled with parafin "just" outside would be a nice free BBQ for them.
make sure there are about 10-20 plot holders there all singing a song about burning squatters or something :D

sneak up at 4am with an air horm wedge it in gap tape the button down,screw the canister on and run like buggery ;Dand try not to fall over through giggling.

Repair the shed a bit, you don`t need any nails or wood,just about 10 of you with hammers going round bashing all the nails to make sure they are in properly :P

Just before setting light to the shed,call loacl firemen and explain that they are smelly people and when they get the call they should concentrate more on "washing" the "smellys" than saving the shed 8)

It is all a pain though, we have just got young kids starting pulling things up again and smashing things.

Try asking nicely,doesn`t work,various people have tried all the approaches but all fail, last year some others were stopped in the end after about 50 calls to police.

This year well its early yet... The thing that frightens them most seems to be the fact that I took pictures :)The police of course all go on about the paediaphillic dangers etc blablabla but with them on one side of fence and me on the other without them knowing,their conversation told me that their biggest fear is getting caught(police/parents) and evidence/proof... we will see what happens

Good idea about the rats ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2005, 00:52:55 »
On of our vacant alloments has been taken over by 3 children. They've moved into the shed ( for an hour or two after shool each day ) with a bed, 2 chairs, some curtains and a candle. I feel like a real spoilspot having to block the hole in our boundary, but I'm worried they'll claim squatters rights lol.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2005, 01:09:53 »
:o Bloody hell :o Kids know their Rights` :o Try treading on them like snails 8)

carolplants

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 15:09:55 »
i have had some success in dealing with this problem.  A couple of years ago
an elderly fellow on our site had a similar problem.  Rather than confront the culprits i gave him some renardine and he brushed it onto the outside of the shed,  of course, when they were not there.  We had immediate results!
i can't promise this will always work, but it did in this instance.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 21:08:30 »
what is renardine???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2005, 21:44:51 »
An illegal and banned animal deterrant :o

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 21:46:21 »
Must be something that worked then!!!
Bet it smelt nice..... Can we make something similar?
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 23:10:27 »
Butyric anhydride, AKA bee-go. It's a traditional bee repellant which has been disappearing from the market recently since less repulsive products were developed. Basically it's used by commercial beeks to chase the bees out of the honey supers quickly. It stinks repulsively, and it's impossible to get rid of the smell. Only drawback is, the shed would stink for evermore.

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005, 08:29:20 »
If you want something that stinks - but goes away after a while (quite a while really) - try this:  Take one rather large bucket (I uses a 50 gallon water butt) and fill it with weeds and then pour in water until it covers all of the weeds - put a lid on the top.

Wait for a couple of weeks (the warmer it is the faster this works) the results as wonderful.

I did this in an attempt to rot down bindweed and couch grass instead of burning them - and it really works but the resultant liquid is a tad smelly - could easily fell a full grown Ox at 30 paces - don't ever, ever stir the lot up when you have your head over the top of the barrel - you will pay the price - I speak from experience - any try to avoid getting it on your clothes or you will be banned from the house when you get home.
Always look on the bright side of life

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2005, 15:50:43 »
good luck. I can vouch for the smelly weed liquid, i had a box of em over the plot, which had water in. My son tipped it over and was not happy for a long time afterwards. I'd pour a load on the roof, and down by the door. Phewie!!

Btw, when we call ourselves 'squatters' on the email campaign to save our plots thread elsewhere on a4a (basics i think), we are not actually living there. We only go over there to tend our weeds, sorry, veg. One of my neighbours met a huge deer over there and ran all the way home once, we leave the place to the wildlife at night.
I will finish it, one day

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal