Author Topic: Squatters takeover allotment shed  (Read 6982 times)

Glyn

• Hectare
Squatters takeover allotment shed
« on: May 28, 2005, 11:45:27 »

Council officials have also been threatened by the squatters
Allotment holders in Cleethorpes say squatters are "a menace" and are making many feel unsafe after they moved into a disused shed.
Two men moved into the council-owned shed on Carr Lane over four weeks ago and residents claim they are "abusive and threatening".

They claim syringes and other drug paraphernalia now litter the gardens.

North East Lincolnshire Council said it was working with police to devise a long-term solution to the problem.

It astounds me that in this day and age people think they have the right to claim something as their own and destroy it for everyone else

Allotment tenant

The allotments, which are accessed using a single vehicle track at the rear of Havelock Secondary School, are managed by the council and sub-let to 644 holders.

One tenant who has held his plot for nearly eight years, said he felt intimidated by the men.

The man, who would not be named for fear of reprisals, told BBC News: "The squatters are abusive, threatening and a menace. We, the people who pay to have the right to be on the allotments, have been warned not to come back by these people."

Another resident said she feared for the safety of her husband who regularly went to his allotment.

BBC News approached the squatters who refused to comment on the situation.

'Dangerous situation'

Leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, Keith Brookes, urged residents to contact the police or the authority about their concerns.

"People in the area say they feel threatened and our own officers agree that the situation is dangerous.

"But if we evicted the squatters straight away then this would not be a long-term solution. They would either come back or move somewhere else.

"I know residents want an immediate fix, but we need a long-term solution not just short-term action."

A spokeswoman for Humberside Police confirmed the force was working with the council to try and resolve the issue.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:20:50 by Glyn »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Squatters takeover allotment shed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:03:15 »
Knock the darn shed down!

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 12:26:55 »
That's too obvious and easy for the council Ken?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 14:10:46 »
The hut looks like it could be a danger to passersby, for safetys sake it should be removed and taken to the tip for burning. (Lock the doors before removing the hut)!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 14:35:38 »
I was thinking the same (knock the shed down).  If it belongs to someone they could lock it up. We got shed bars from Northumbria Police last year, and they are great.  I do think the Council and Police could be a little bit more proactive in taking some action now.  They are sending out the wrong message to the squatters. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 15:46:11 »
Isn't it strange..sometimes the Police say lock up sheds, mark tools etc, our local bobbies hosted a security seminar last year...great  The Shed bars are good and did prevent a wouldbe vandal for me.

Then other Police officers say "don't lock the shed" in the belief that if it is open it won't be damaged.

Now, the point of all this... if its open and squatters move in then there is little anyone can do...now if they break in isn't this a criminal offence and action can/could be taken?

IDEA:  Each site should sponsor a Rotweiller (or similar) which the plotholders could take turns in walking the plot....once off the lead....well  ;)

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 18:14:17 »
I left everything open for several years and never had any problems until the Association secretary and his wife started their nonsense. These days I rely on a stout thorn hedge and a strong gate with a good lock. We do get periodic breakins round the site, but it's very noticeable that they go for plots which are going to be easy to get into.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 23:30:11 »
I would love to see a picture of your plot Robert as I am very security conscious, at the moment I am leaving my shed unlocked and a wheel barrow less wheel and just the odd tools that I got cheaply at the car boot :-\

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 00:04:56 »
I know there are a few views about whether to lock a shed or keep it open.  We have found at our Site that even if you are just storing old tools in your shed they can still be used as instruments for causing damage.  A few people got their greenhouses smashed last year with an old rake and spade that had been in an open shed, and I found a fork had been used to vandalise my potato bed last year, and a wheelbarrow with soil in had been tipped over my cabbages.  So perhaps they won't steal anything but they could use what is inside to cause damage. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 09:39:37 »
I'll try to sort something out over the holiday. Meanwhile there are pics on my blog at http://journals.aol.co.uk/rsbrenchley/ThisandThat/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 11:48:51 »
We used to leave our front door unlocked. SAD!!

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 12:04:31 »
I'm thinking of moving back over to the UK. Could anyone here give me a list of the best Lottie shed's around the Midlands area. I would also require fresh food, and the shed should be close to social security offices. Thanks.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 14:02:02 »
When I was a kid, the only time the door was ever locked was when we were away on holiday. You're right, it is sad. It's because people move around so much you don't know the neighbours any more.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 11:59:02 »
My shed is going to be a contender in our allotment's best shed competition  ;D  I'm in the East midlands Glyn.  We have some terrible sheds on the plots but most newbies might not be expert gardeners but they seem to have the best sheds  ;D

Here's mine.  My husband is on the plot now tittivating it.  He's phoned me to bring him the drill so must be adding more shelves  ;D

I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 19:14:29 »
The newbies have the best sheds because they haven't had time to fill them with junk!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 22:23:23 »
The newbies have the best sheds because they haven't had time to fill them with junk!

You wanna bet? ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 21:02:10 »
My OH keeps filling our shed with more and more wood which he insists must be kept dry.  Tsk  :(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 23:33:43 »
 ;D Tee hee ;D same here ;D Tee hee, I love wood ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 14:06:49 »
Got a calor gas fire in my shed, as well as books to read while it is raining! Ooo and cuppas, biccies (if my son hasn't left the lid off and made them go stale/sodden). He has a radio with clock in there!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 09:47:38 »
My OH is now nuts about his shed and if squatters ever dared move in they'd soon regret it  :(     We were looking at gas stoves at Makro the other day but he resisted as he needed to buy more wood.  He cadged some window frames the other day and made me a warm box for my cues and aubergines etc.  It look very good - just screwed them all together.  He's now got lots of fence posts and seems to be building a corale.  Why, I don't know unless he's thinking of getting a horse.  I think this new hobby is going to his head and he's got this mad urge to make things of wood.  I hope it will soon pass  ;D  Made a table the other day for me to pot on and have lunch.  I was going to use an upturned box but no he HAD to make a table  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal