Author Topic: Anyone wanna cat ?  (Read 5267 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Anyone wanna cat ?
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:25:24 »
I am so annoyed.  Our horror has just bought in a dead bluetit.   :'(  We took him in at xmas from a friend as he was fighting her other cat.  He is four and used to be an indoor only cat.  He now goes out and to date this is the 3rd bird he's had.  I've rescued 2 live ones (see previous post cat vs starling).  Have I created a monster ?  I feel really bad now that I let him out at all.  Needless to say he is now locked in and sulking in the kitchen.
Get with the beat Baggy

bunnycat

• Half Acre
Re: Anyone wanna cat ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 11:44:45 »
Oh dear, Baggy :'(

Sounds like he's discovered the wildlife very quickly :(

Our cats are both indoor cats, although it's more because we've got a really busy road at the end of our street and have no intention of them coming a cropper on it.
I've got two budgies, which both cats ignore completely.
Oddly enough, when there are birds in the garden they both run to the window and go into that flat, hunting position so I've no idea what's going on there ???

My Mum has made life more difficult for her cat by putting about four big bells on his collar, so he can't make a move without making a lot of noise.
He still gets the odd slow bird, but it's reduced his 'kills' by quite a bit.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:21:17 »
He's got one bell already.  I was thinking a ball and chain might slow him down.   :o I would feel mean keeping him in from now on but I am in a real quandry as to what to do.  I keep thinking of the Birdycam bluetits and how their 'owner' would feel.  I really feel rotten and a bad cat owner   :'( :'( :'(
Get with the beat Baggy

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:40:22 »
More bells maybe? Or you could invest in an ultrasonic birdscarer (attached to your house, not the cat, or maybe...). If its a specific place that hes getting the birds then you could plant some coleus canina to keep him away from there.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 13:03:34 »
unfortunately baggy it's something cats do and you have to live with it.  a couple of years back when Merlin would have been about four then, he was really bad, he even got a thrush and it upset me no end.  :'(  but it's a natural instinct they have and short of keeping him in the house, you can't really stop it.  he might not be as bad next year. just remember that a cat is the nearest thing to a wild animal that most people take into their home.

MM

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 13:24:27 »
Mine's a Merlin too so perhaps it's to do with the name and he'll follow after your Merlypuss.  If I ever crack this photo thingy I'll post a snap so you can all see the beast.  Thanks for the advice.  (still feel rotten though  :'()
Get with the beat Baggy

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 21:58:22 »
Baggy you just need photobucket.com and save your photos in there.  It  took me a few tries but I got there in the end.  Have a go as we'd love to see your Merlin  :)

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 08:19:19 »
Oh Baggy so sorry to hear about the dead birds.  Unfortunately, that is what cats do.  They chase the birds and very often kill them. :'(

However, I still think you should let him out in the garden, it's not his fault he is a cat  ::)

Of course, you could get him/her a mate to play with or one of those fancy toys.  But cats get bored very quickly.
Good luck !
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 08:29:22 »
Thanks guys.  I would love to get  another kitten for him to play with but he was taken out of his original home because was beating up the other cat there.  Poor Jasper was older,larger andhad been there before him and they used to get on well.  I couldn't bear to have to give a kitten away if Merlypuss kicked off again.  Unless He is reaching that rebellious teenager age and wanted to show Jasper he wasn't a little kid.  I Work with Merlins old mum and she says Jasper is no longer living in the shoe cupboard and his wounds have healed.  (mental & psychological)
Get with the beat Baggy

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 10:17:18 »
Hi Baggy, I think you're right, not a good idea to get a kitten or another cat for that matter.  I'm not going to say he'll be a lot better next year but mostly then do calm down as they get older.  My previous cat, Chivers, over one summer would bring a goldfish home most weeks.  Toby-dog and I would find it when I took him walkies last thing at night.  I dreaded it as I was worried that whoevers pond he was getting them from might have a go at him.  You don't know how some people might react.  He was also a frequent catcher of birds. 

MM

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 12:45:43 »
hi Baggy,
Its so sad when your cat catches a bird but I don't think you should feel bad. Hunting is a cats natural instinct and if a cat enjoys going out then i think its unfair to keep them in. We had a cat who occasionally caught a bird/mouse but as he got older he seemed less bothered so maybe it is cos he's 'that' age and he'll grow out of it.

One of our german shepherds caught a bird by accident last year - he was 18 months old at the time and he's always chased birds but as he is very clumsy and big he's not very fast I never  thought he would catch one. One morning last summer he jumped up as a young starling flew past him and somehow hit it with his paw!! The poor thing was killed instantly and Benji couldn't understand what had happened he just sat looking at the bird giving puppy yaps as if to say - go on fly, its your turn.. :'(. It was really sad and we felt awful that he'd killed it, the only good thing is that it was a complete fluke and its never happened again.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 18:42:27 »

here he is - bird killer (hope it's not too big)
Get with the beat Baggy

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 18:55:49 »
He's beautiful, but a couple more big bells would probably help. LOL!

What a naughty boy :D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 19:28:42 »
There Baggy that wasn't so difficult was it?  ;D
He is gorgeous and a grey like my Merlin, although a bit more butch looking.
Come on now you know you couldn't part with him and it will get better, really it will.  And Think of it as natures way of ensuring the survival of the fittest.

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 21:19:26 »
Awwwww Baggy he is gorgeous !!  I am sure he will grow up in time - right now, he is like a little teenager  ::) :D

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2005, 21:36:48 »
Mine are like kids - prove me wrong all the time. After telling a recent visitor my cats are very nervous of starngers, so they wouldn't be seeing much of them, Cherry jumps up on her chair. Then after saying only this weeks that now they're 12 and 13 they don't bring in 'presents' any more (they haven't done so for 5 years at least) Holly - the 13 year old - brings me home a half dead mouse... ho hum.

Holly looking cross after we'd 'had words"
Dawn

maz

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 22:41:24 »
Baggy would you please give me your address?

* picks up bag large enough to fit Merlin in and dark clothing *   ;)  ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 22:50:14 »
hang on maz there's a queue you know  ;D ;D
oh go on then, they would only get confused if I catnapped baggys merlin, they wouldn't know who I was talking to.  ???

MM

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 11:19:36 »
More bells maybe? Or you could invest in an ultrasonic birdscarer (attached to your house, not the cat, or maybe...). If its a specific place that hes getting the birds then you could plant some coleus canina to keep him away from there.
i am a pest control officer and these things dont work,they are a gimmick and a waste of time as they aint cheap
bells are the way ahead
good luck
 ;D :-\

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 11:20:17 »
forgot
has he still got his bits
might help

anything