Author Topic: Anyone wanna cat ?  (Read 5266 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Anyone wanna cat ?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 11:41:45 »
Nope he is minus his 'bits'.  I think it's probbly his taste of freedom as he was indoors cat for nearly 4 years.  Looking a previous posts I have liberated him at the terrible teenager time.  Last night he was harassing frogs in the dark.  Bad puss, bad,bad puss  >:(
Get with the beat Baggy

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 12:09:15 »
well-no one loves wildlife more than me but i'm with mm on this-they are the nearest thing to a wild animal that we have in the house...and-i am a fraid my answer to people who criticise cats(BILL ODDIE PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!!!!)is that there at least 4 birdies to a nest.....and i dont care how many millions of birds the twitchers say our cats kill-until there is no tweeting at all and one of our lot brings home an osprey or a great bustard then i refuse to beleive cats are detrimental to wildlife.

people are tho.......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 13:20:47 »
Baggy - have a look at http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/cats/index.asp - there are several pages on subjects such as "are cats causing bird decline?" & advice for cat owners.  I think it is quite reassuring.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 22:19:25 »
thanks for that kitty and I'm with you 100%.
I also believe that cats are far more likely to catch and kill weaker and even sickly birds. surely it's all part of natures plan and the survival of the fittest.
MM

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 23:00:43 »
Yeah humans are worse!
Neighbour chucks stones at squirrel fro nicking his nuts from tree and another person I know, BBQ`s them(gross)
Little bugger digs out our troughs and plants but they are still cute.
Send your puss to our plot to get the nasty pigeons!!!
They keep murdering our veg! :-\

saw a sad really skinny fox the other day in car park, looked very sad. We have probably built houses on his envoironment....

green belt= houses eventually

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 16:19:29 »
i'm all for gassing politicians.
first you block up the holes in the houses of parliament.....

i think THE most ludicrous thing i've heard is the theory that badgers give cows tuberculosis.
show me the proof...
lies..d**n lies... and statistics :(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 19:06:34 »
Yeah humans are worse!
I second that, you only have to look at what we do to each other.

Yes Wardy, it doesn't seem to matter to most what they destroy, just as long as they're OK.

And I'm with you a 100% kitty, and I wouldn't be at all surprised it Wardy and AndyH wont want to lend a hand to gas the politicians.  they seem to have totally lost sight of what the people want.
and as for badgers giving cows tuberculosis,  there are those who think it's far more likely that farmers are moving infected cows around.

MM

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 20:32:13 »
and I thought you lot were meant to be cat lovers!?!?

how would you feel if someone tied a bell to your head?  tinnitus for cats I always think.  ;D

if you read desmond morris on catwatching he makes some really interesting points about why they do it and how you can attempt animal psychology on them.  supposedly they are doing it to be kind because you need training in how to kill like their mother did for them.  advice is to say thank you and bin it when they have gone, if you shout and take it away they think you are being a bit dim and try again later.

the other suggestion I read was to encourage more birds as they have a better chance when they all watch out for each other.

water pistols was terry pratchetts suggestion - cat doesnt associate it with you and wanders how the bird did it.  visions of people hiding in the bushes now  ;D

hasn't made the least difference to mine if I am honest though so I maybe I should reconsider the bells position.....

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 23:21:11 »
"Gifts" our two horrors brought in today: one bird's skull (yuc), a huge live, hopping mad frog (which we eventually managed to rescue), a white butterfly (that got what it deserved) and a daddy long legs that Tig ate in front of me.  Thankfully no live birds.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 08:20:09 »
i love wildlfe as much as the next personbut i am totally against belling cats-as hex said-i bet its a real treat for such sensitive ears to have something clanging away in your ear'ole all day-as for bill oddies assertion that they 'eat all the birds'i bet the thrush etc population has been done no good at all by wrecking the food chain due to pesticides,unnecessary building on green and brown sites,grubbing up hedges -and i dont think cats are in charge of building,farming,chemical industries.
who is?
o ye-e-es......
human beings...... ::)
animals..insects.....etc have as much chance to escape as cats have of catching them......and no-one complains when they kill a rat..
i'm all for the waterpistol approach-especially when used o bill oddie....
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 08:41:45 »
oh kitty I want more than a little ol' water pistol to use on mr oddie. :(
even the rspb don't wholeheartedly agree with him and somehow I feel then know a tad more about birds than he does.  :)

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 08:47:39 »
 ;D ;D ;D
mornin mm!
off to 'work' now
ttyl ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal