Author Topic: Great crested newt!!!!  (Read 3347 times)

undercarriage plan

Great crested newt!!!!
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:36:12 »
Great excitement!!  I just saw a great crested newt in my little pond!! Feel like I've been givien the stamp of approval.  Lovely creature, looks really prehistoric.  I'll try and get a pic, but probably end up falling in!!!!!Lottie ;D ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Great crested newt!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 14:00:42 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Oh heck Lottie, you are priviledged to see a Great Crested Newt!!!  They are protected species.  I am not sure if you should notify someone you have one!!!   I know a lot of extra work goes into building new roads and pipelines to make sure the GC Newt is safe.  Now take great care of it, you lucky thing. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 16:22:40 »
Just do it Lottie and if you fall in dont let go of the camera.  :o   ;D

How lovely to see something moving in of its own accord. I hope its stays and maybe bring a few mates.
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 18:16:10 »
Great isn't it?!  It seemed to be trying to make "friends"with one of the other types of newts, not having much success!! I'll try and get a pic, but it's a question of having the camera to hand when I'm near the pond!! Wish me luck  Lottie ;D ;D ;D

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 22:07:56 »
You are very honoured indeed.  ;D

I am very fond of amphibians (as well as reptiles, of course) and spent many a childhood hour gazing at the frogs and newts (and occasional toad) in our garden pond. But I've never seen a great-crested newt. Which part of the country do you live in?

Hope it does find a mate.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 23:21:13 »
so lucky to have newt in your pond i have my pond 5 years plenty of frogs and toads but no newts i would love some

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 15:02:53 »
I live in Woodbridge, in Suffok.  I'm lucky in that my garden backs onto a really old cemetery, it's dank and dark (creepy, but pretty!), so not too much disturbance.  It was still there today, worried it may have moved on!!!  I've had other newts for a while, dibberxxx, but took me a while to spot. They're fast little buggers and dive as soon as they see you.  You could well have them and not know it!!  ;D :o :o Lottie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 13:29:17 »
u never no i might have sum newts then and not even no thery are there i hope so :D :D :D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 13:56:30 »
The great crested newt is an internationally important species. It is listed in Annexes II and IV of the EC Habitats Directive and Appendix II of the Bern Convention. It is protected under Schedule 2 of the Conservation (Natural Habitats, etc) Regulations 1994 (Regulation 8) and Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. In Section 9(4) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act it is stated that it is an offence to intentionally damage, destroy or obstruct access to any structure or place which these species use for shelter or protection.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 22:01:29 »
Woh! Scary stuff!! Don't panic, I intend to leave it well alone and just enjoy watching it.  Don't intend to eat it on toast!!  ;) Lottie

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 22:37:50 »
 :D :D

See I told you Lottie, it costs companies loads of money to protect the species.

;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 21:10:54 »
Blimey, Carol, you weren't joking!! Anyway. showed newt acrticle 5 subsection7, paragraph 78.  It is now fully aware of it's rights....! Says it's quite happy, but could do with a tequila.......?Lottie  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal