Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 5148 times)

Derek

• Acre
Leeks
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:31:25 »
Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question about leeks...

Is the amount of blanched stem on leeks all down to:-

a)  The variety of the actual seed planted?

b)   The technique that needs to be employed for growing?

My leeks this last year have only a couple of inches that are blanched and I was wondering if I have done something wrong

Thanks
Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 12:37:23 »
its the bit that is underground, so you could plant them deeply in a hole, or earth them up as they grow or both.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 13:00:11 »
And in the end, stop reading culinary advice & enjoy ALL of it!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 13:06:10 »
And in the end, stop reading culinary advice & enjoy ALL of it!!
Have always ignored advice about eating leeks and cringed when cooks throw away all of the green.  In my opinion the green bit is the best bit.  More substantial and stronger tasting.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 13:56:43 »
I just stick a good hole with a dibber, drop the leek in, and fill the hole with water. Then we eat the lot apart from the outer bit, which always seems to have grit mixed up with it.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 21:18:56 »
eat as much of the leek as you can-green an'al!too goo to waste!

er...derek...arent you supposed to be taking it easy?i hope you arent planting leeks yet! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 21:45:39 »
I just planted mine this afternoon between downpours. I bought them, since i didn't get any seed in early enough, and the compost they came in stopped them going down the holes I made properly. There won't be much white this year; it's lucky that's one thiing my family don't fuss over.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 00:05:15 »
Robert don't tell me I have wasted my time sowing Leeks...I have a tray full about 1½" high my first attempt :o

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 00:23:19 »
so have i, roy
the way i see it - they are an autumn/winter vegetable so surely it won't matter too much a few weeks either way.....
just my opinion though
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 00:29:49 »
I hope so too my first year growing from seed and they are 2 inch high I am so chuffed with them.
Was given some back end of last year did not think they would survive and most did but now going into flower. So have to use them as small as they are.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 02:55:57 »
Hi All,
         I am in total agreement with Kitty and Redclanger on using the whole Leek, cutting off the green is sacrilege.

To do so is to deny yourself the superb flavour the the Leek has to offer, and there are nutrients in the leaf that are not present in the stem.

Living in Scotland our season is shorter than down south, but we can still get a good crop from seed sown in late April or early May.

PREMTAL ;D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 06:28:51 »
After watching the dvd ' The allotment' one chap grew his Leeks from seed.  Once they reached a couple of inches he planted them out into what he called a 'Nursery' bed.  Then when they where approx 8 - 10 inch high he dug them up again and this time, he planted them in the main bed as deeply as he could, just to get as much 'blanched' stem as possible.

I myself will eat as much of the green as possible.  You need to be aware that soil can get down into the leaves and you just need to wash them through.

Our winter leeks this year were also short and stocky to begin with, but in time they did grow well and taste beautiful.  This year we are letting some of them go to seed so that we can save a few pence next year.

Good luck and enjoy.

Lily

' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 23:43:03 »
I earth mine up to try and extend the blanched bit, but we do use the whole leek - no waste in this house!!  You need to block out the light, I wonder if straw would do it?  A chap on our site drops lengths of guttering over them once they are big enough.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 23:53:39 »
Think I will have to do the nursery bed idea, then dig them up.
I have a old spade handle and hubby pointed the end so I have a great dibber to make the hole and pop them in. One step up from the iron bar I first used.
Then they grow to fill the hole width and blanch the same time. I use all the leek just trim off the top inch or so.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 23:56:44 »
Hi, ive seen a mans local allotment full of lovely leeks grown in plastic piping. what a good idea.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 00:12:08 »
sounds like he grows them for shows they do things like that and if you drink Newcastle brown ale the next day save the outcome and water the leeks with it. Its ment to work wonders pity hubby does not like it oh well fish poo water will have to do.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:38:58 »
Thinking of fish (and not of leeks) wonder if I will try the fish & sweetcorn thing...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 15:20:27 »
Still plenty of time to sow leeks. I sowed a second batch two weeks ago and they are just germinating. A third batch will be sown this week.

I may even do a 4th batch in 2 or 3 weeks time to extend the season right through until May next year.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 16:37:28 »
i know there are lots of different varieties of leeks...but ,say,you only have the one sort(like i do!)autumn king.....will taht be alright to sutain me thru the winter-or do i have to plant different varieties at different times-and if i can use the one sort-will it benefit me to stagger the final planting-at the moment i have a lot of seedlings in a bed-they're about 6-8"tall and half a pencil fat...
thanks for your help!!
kitty :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 16:56:08 »
Same question for me - but different variety - I have Musselborough.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal