Author Topic: Reluctant rhubarb  (Read 3311 times)

undercarriage plan

Reluctant rhubarb
« on: May 20, 2005, 20:08:28 »
Dear All, having started off with a very impressive flurry of large leaves and juicy stems, my rhubarb seems to be sulking!  It's had a good dollop of home-made compost but the stems are really short and the leaves not quite so lush. Any ideas? Please?!?  Thanks Lottie  PS I have been picking it regularly, too regularly perhaps?  ???

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Re: Reluctant rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 20:56:56 »
force it to grow by putting a black bucket over the top of it, might help.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 21:49:04 »
this time of year, rhubarb needs to recover from all the effort put into making stems etc and so should be allowed to rest.

Forcing it will produce edible stems but may well kill the plant. Commercial growers do this but dispose of their plants after three years.

Let the plants be, as nature intended, they will recover and reward you next year.

That is my theory anyway, all mine . . .

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 22:16:05 »
I haven't touched mine yet, I moved it last winter and it hasn't really settled in. I get the same thing every year; I pick like mad till I've had most of the decent stems, then I leave it strictly alone for the rest of the year. By the following year, it's had time to recover.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 22:37:00 »
Bless you all! Going to give it a rest for a while and see what happens, thinking of dividing the crowns this autumn, treating it like a perennial, who knows?! Thanks for help. Lottie  ;D

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 00:28:35 »
well when we had our garden done about 7 years ago, we had this huge rhubarb, my mum said its a waste to let the builders destroy it, so she moved it for us, 2 years later ir recovered, my mum told me to force it, i did this for 4  years running and was never let down, although they say not to, i did and its stonger than ever. i never seperate it, its totally established where it is and happy, even found some lovely newbies, Rhubarb is as hard as nails, Why do you always see it grow on deserted allotments full of weeds!!!!!

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 07:33:50 »
On the subject of rhubarb a neighbour of mine on the allotments has a variety of barb that is later than the normal and has huge leaf and very thick stalks ,does anyone now what this variety would be.
The owner doesnt now as he was given it
I really would like to get hold of a crown or two of it.

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 10:35:20 »
Did you seperate the newbies from the mum? And if so when? Will not divide it, will force it, next season.  Will also probably change mind as to course of action to take depending on the next piece of advice!!!  Thanks Lottie  ??? ;D ;D ;)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 11:13:14 »
They use to say stop pulling it end of may? but to leave 4 good stalks to die down to replenish the root for next year.
If you force it one year you cannot do it next year?
But I was given some great roots before I had lottie and planted them in large pots in comepost bad idea.
It grew well died down but when it came up last spring it was limp and lifeless turfed it out of the pot and both were full of vine weevil.
so cleaned it up and planted in garden it recovered slowly but this autum its down the lottie with it.
So be warned saying that  a lottie neighbrough has a huge bed of it so may get to know him.
Common types of it is Victoria and Gaskins but a neighbrough has one and calls it Manchester rhubarb and its stalks are the size of a mans thumb and you dont need to peel the skin its great but for the life of me I cannot find it anywhere so might have to talk to him as well. He is a lovely chap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 14:30:49 »
When you stop puling depends on when you start! I think I have a late variety; I start during May, once the stalks are well grown, and finish about the end of June or whenever the supply runs short and the plants are down to a few stems each.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 18:15:33 »
Sounds like my rhubarb has been doing what it's supposed to! I've been pulling it regularly since the middle of April! Had crumbles, stewed and made some lovely wine (I hope!), I'm just sure that it seemed to go on for ever last season. Oh well, I'll give it a good feed and leave it.  Thanks all, any more suggestions would be great.  I'm going to miss my brekkie of stewed rhubarb and rice krispies! Lottie   ;D ;D ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 19:38:30 »
Oh with rice crispies?
Sons girlfriend has a bowl of sugar and a stick straight from the garden skin and all she just munches away.
I like crumble.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 21:10:39 »
I have never tried it raw??? Sounds interesting, though a little stringy! Nothing like stewed rhubarb, ice cold milk and rice krispies mmmm... Lottie  ;D

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 10:04:52 »
I seem to have made a very bad choice for a rhubarb location last year - since last March, nothing much has happened to the plant apart from a few hole riddled stalks. I'm wondering whether this plant could be successfully transplanted at this stage in the game, and what conditions it likes (full sun, soil type, etc...? ) I think my last choice of location was far too shady for the plant  :-[

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 10:38:26 »
Hi Rox.
Full sun is a must soil not fussy but mine one plant does well on heavy soil but down lottie its lighter and some have huge beds of it.
Then put manure on it cannot remember if its late winter or early spring but before the growth starts to feed it up.
Then happy munching.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 11:24:50 »
I was wondering about mine -first planted this year and did well to start with -but the leaves became full of holes (flea beatle?). There have been no new shoots for a while -but maybe there shouldn't be, going to have to read up on it.

Jeremy

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 11:39:34 »
Jeremy - I think the holes are from slugs! They LOVE my rhubarb plant more, it seems,  than anything else in my entire garden!  :-[

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 15:10:55 »
Doesn't really look like slug damage to me -starts off with lots of little holes spaced over the leaves. I did water around it with coffee just in case.

Jeremy

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 15:56:06 »
I 'inherited' my rhubarb from the previous owner of my house. It has supplied us with plenty of rhubarb crumble but is looking a bit odd at present - is it trying to flower?

Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 16:32:22 »

Wow!!! thats huge  :o :o
sorry can't help anyone,as l bought my first crown a few weeks ago and it had two little leaves on..............they have  now disappeared  :o :'( the leaves,not the crown  ;D the leaves have shrivelled up  :'( it does have a fence around it as l have a big dog  ;)so he can't get near it and water it himself,so do l need to water it more often do you think  ??? or do l need to feed it ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal