Author Topic: £1 bargain  (Read 5274 times)

maz

• Acre
£1 bargain
« on: May 17, 2005, 19:43:11 »
Not bad for a quid huh?

Its marked at almost £5 and was tiny when I got it a few months ago. I loooove a bargain.  ;D 

IRIS PSUDO VARIAGTA

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: £1 bargain
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 20:32:29 »
 ;D Coming along nicely, a bargain indeed. ;)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:02:25 »
Looks a good way to spend a quid to me  ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 12:36:32 »
Very nice Maz !! When does it flower ????

:D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 15:00:27 »
I bought one last year for more than three times the price :(, its flowers are yellow. My plant grew to be very large so I split it into three earlier this Spring and now have one about as far advanced as yours. The others I gave to a friend who is setting up a wild life pond this year where they are both coming along nicely.

Tricia

maz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 15:11:40 »
Marianne, dont get technical! lol. I got it to grow and thats a start!   ;D ;D ;D

No seriously theres no label just a B&Q sticky one on the side of the pot with the name and price, so your guess is as good as mine.

Its nice to be able to pass plants on isnt it tricia? at least that way you £15(?) goes further.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 15:30:05 »
That has got to be a great bargain - well done!!  I have noticed that pond plants in general do seem very expensive when compared to other plants.  I've been looking for a water lily for a while now and can't seem to find anything for less than a tenner?  Any ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 15:34:29 by Anthony »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 20:03:22 »
 Maz !  ;D ;D

You have done a great job of growing it!  :D  The plant will flower when it is ready.
Good luck with it and well done !  ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 20:51:48 »
lovely verigated iris maz mine are just coming into bud

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 16:43:21 »
anthony-theres been waterlilies in morrisons for about a fiver......and i think i saw them in marks and spencer for 7.99---wilkos had them cheap but i dont know if they still have-worth checking-and have you tried ebay?some bargains there.....
also-have you tried the swap shop here?
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 22:44:17 »
[/ithat way you £15(?) goes further.]

No, Maz, I meant 3 quid more than your bargain! ;D Actually, my Psudo Variagata cost £3.65 at my local aquatics centre.

And yes, it's lovely to be able to pass plants on - but I was lucky recently and was offered a white water-lily, variety unknown, for free - and that water lily is now showing the first bud just at the waterline, so I'm quite excited waiting to see what the flower is like.

I'll post piccies when the flower opens then maybe someone here will be able to identify it for me.

Tricia

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 10:07:23 »
Cheers Kitty,

I've checked e-bay and with P&P they do all seem to be as expensive as in the shops.  I'm also concerned about buying living "things" off there as I'm generally at work when the parcels arrive and knowing what couriers/carriers are like it would probably finish up taking several days to get the plants back to me. -  I suspect they may well be dead by this time.

I'll continue looking in the shops you mentioned and the Swap shop but I guess if I can't find anything within the next week or so I may well have missed the boat for this year :'(

Thanks again

Tony

T

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 10:56:10 »
I bought one in our local B+Q this spring Anthony, I also spotted some in Woolworths.  Might be worth a look there too.  Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 13:14:07 »
Ok,

Will continue my search.

thanks

Tony

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 15:47:32 »
nil desperandum...er...waterlilium!
theres bound to be some about-keep an eye in the gardening section of your local paper or put an ad in the newsagents window-theres bound to be someone digging out their pond-

this place;
www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk
is where i bought my 'teeny weeny with a biggish price tag' lily from-i only have a big tin bath so i wanted a dwarf one..but they have lots-the commoner but just as pretty ones are reasonable and they send on the days you want it sent too.....nice people..
anyway-best of luck!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 15:54:32 »
tony another good website to get your plants from is www.wetlandplants.co.uk its a small family ran business and i have allways received really good healthy plants from then , pack really good, and have done very well and quick to establish hope this will be of some help

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 15:37:02 »
Thanks I'll check the websites out when I get some time and let you all know how I've gotton on.

tony

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 12:41:50 »
Well, I've finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a couple of lillies from B&Q - Worked out quite cheap as well as they had a 20% discount on all plants on Monday so I managed to pick 2 up at a cost of about £7.50.

I planted them yesterday evening at a depth of about 2 foot and in a place where they will get the most sunlight so I'm hoping within a week or two they might start to show some signs of new growth.

I just hope I've done things right ::)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 14:13:04 »
Anthony i bought sum lillies from BQ about 2 years and they grow very quick once planted in fact out of all the Lillie's I have in the pond the BQ ones are doing the best when they flower i will post sum pictures . Anthony i am sure yours will do well have faith

maz

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 20:12:35 »
Oh fingers crossed Tony. What colour are they?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal