Author Topic: still no sign of my courgettes  (Read 7193 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
still no sign of my courgettes
« on: May 10, 2005, 23:03:44 »
Planted them in the house 3 weeks ago, then took them up to my greenhouse one week ago, same with the cucumbers, Pumpkins are thriving, Squashes seem lazy, very peed off.....What have i done wrong?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: still no sign of my courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 23:06:07 »
Nothing.  It seems lots of people are having squash problems this year.  For me, tis melons.  Sowed dozens and dozens, but only a couple bothered to germinate!  GRR!  More heat less water maybe.............

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 23:14:11 »
i gave my plants more heat than i have to my ole man!!!! Sorry the plants come first  (JOKE) hope your melons pick up soon !!!! LOL. Sarah X

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:11:22 »
Same problem here, struggling with germination managed only two squashes out of 20 seeds sown and on moving them snapped one off.
Have now replanted courgettes for the third time. All seeds are from Thompson and Morgan and Ive had no problems with them before.
Regards
Chriszog

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:46:28 »
My seeds are from all over and it has to be the worst germination of squashes and courgettes I have ever had!! Normally I am over run with the things, I am going to do a re sow today, and you watch, all the other b*ggers that have been sitting doing nothing for weeks will appear! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 11:59:13 »
speaking of courgette problems, has anyone had seeds germinate, but look really sickly??  ??? One of my seedlings (Gold Rush) germinated in 3 days, but came up brown and oozing looking - I've never seen anything like that and binned it straight away! Has anyone had problems germinating cucumber seeds as well this year? strange...

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:12:14 »
Blimey - that makes a change - all of my courgettes are growing like wildfire and normally I'm the one posting this message  :P  However, don't all throw stones at me, my tomatoes and peppers are doing absolutely nothing after I fried the first happy lot in the greenhouse    :-\

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:36:06 »
I only have about a 40% germination rate of a variety of gherkins, squashes, courgettes and pumpkins. I did mean to get around to labelling them.... but forgot. And now my son has watered them and moved them around I can't tell them apart. I guess I will just get a suprise...

I haven't grown these before - so thought the low germination rate was normal.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 13:16:18 »
I'm having real problems with the minnesota melons; so far got one OK young plant and one stunted looking seedling... and that's it. Yesterday I dug down into the remaining 'ungerminated pots' to check on the seeds... all turned out to be hopelessly rotten, & were binned. So last night I put my last four melon seeds into less watered compost & have cling-filmed them onto a windowsill (not airing cupboard, this time)... fingers crossed.

Butternut Squash - 2/2 germinated.

Courgettes (Tondo) - 2/3 germinated.

Spookacular Pumpkin - 4/4 germinated (gulp)

Miniature White cucumbers - 7/7 germinated (but I immediately fried the first three on a south-facing windowsill; bit of a steep learning curve, this plant malarky  :( )

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 13:40:02 »
Sorry, but I'm with lazybones - all my courgettes and cukes germinated! (all 5 cukes and 3 courgettes)  I sowed 2 in one pot, just in case and both came up  :D

Pumpkins are a bit of a different story I've probably only had half of those germinate  :(. They weren't germinating so well in the mini-greenhouse, so I have the latest batch in an unheated propogator on a south-facing windowsill.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 14:03:20 »
i had trouble with my butternut squash if you recall (i posted about it on here somewhere).
i did look into the pot to see what the seeds were doing, if anything - one did nothing while the other 'seemed' to have dropped a root but just not come upwards yet. in any case, i stuck two more seeds in just in case - guess what? those two new seeds came up within 4 days! i have now taken the two original 'dead' seeds out - and they did look like they were rotten. so maybe i overwatered in the first two or three days?
funny thing is my other cucs/courgettes /pumpkins came up beautifully under the exact same conditions.

i am a happy bunny now though :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 14:30:59 »
I empathise with all posts here. 
Still no joy with my Blue Ballet pumpkins, but I am over-endowed with butternut squash.  I put two courgettes out under cloches yesterday.
Interesting that so many people are getting zero germination with one variety when their other varieties are thriving in exactly the same conditions.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 14:49:10 »
are some squash more temperamental than others???

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 22:34:15 »
gourds (LIDL) 8/8 germinated within week
cucumbers (Suttons) 9/8 germinated within week
courgettes (Woolies) 3/8 germinated within week (one more struggling through, remainder no action at all)

all sown indoors, in a pot inside sealed foodbag, all looking healthy, now out of bag in 'windowed' garden shed, but why didn't the other four courgettes germinate? will three plants be enough?

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 22:36:14 »
9/8 cucumbers germinated?! divine intervention?

Must read properly before I post

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 22:41:21 »
9/8?? That's a good  trick!

Had 1/8 courgettes come up, so put another 8 in and 6 of them have come up really quickly and, as Doris predicted, now the first lot have started showing signs of life! C-est la vie  :)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 22:48:00 »
germination!  aahhhh!!!!  I think i'm gonna need a few more years practise b4 i get anywhere close to growing the amount i set out to.
You read the seed packets, think you're doing it right, then you find out that some need light, others dont, some need just cling film, others just a sunny windersill, others need warmth and light blocked, others need frost. some need singlularly seeding others dont mind being housed together.
I've got loads of books and magazines, i need an a-z book with absolutely everything explained, from germination, feeds, pinching out, pruning, harvesting and storing!!!!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 22:52:09 »
I do not appear to be having a problem germinating anything.  The squashes and courgettes I sowed for my youngest's plot mid April are going great guns (despite being put out and left out far too much).  My maize germinated outside this week (inside now).  My beans (runner and french) are just starting.  I have had no problems with potatoes, onions, garlic, purple sprouting, leeks, broad beans, sprouts, lettuce (except one variety out of an old packet), spring onions, carrots or parsnips.  I did have one tray of Wheelers that completely failed to show but I now think I did everything (dibbing, filling, labelling watering etc.) but forgot to put the seeds in.  I am hoping and crossing fingers and toes that my luck continues - although I am not counting any chickens.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 23:03:52 »
Well sowed about 20 more squash today, if the originals put in an appearance, I shall have more squash than a squash farmer! :-\
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 23:08:07 »
redclanger-
how much stuff are you growing that you've never grown b4? cos thats what i'm talking about! i've previously only been able to grow stuff in containers, now i've got a bigger(and i mean bigger) garden, i've gone mad and tried everything, some things i'm really pleased with, others i'm absolutely devasted, although i do admit to germinating things like melon cucumbers, passiflora, pampas grass, oriental poppy(struggled), lobelia, burpless cucs, ornamentsl grasses to name a few not tried b4. to which i am rather proud. amongst the other usual,courgettes, toms, etc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal