Author Topic: Newbie wants to build a shed  (Read 2104 times)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
Newbie wants to build a shed
« on: May 09, 2005, 14:24:33 »
Hi all - and what a welcome forum I think this will become to me in the coming years. We have just been told we have got our first allotment - probably 20ft by 50ft or so. Its not in bad condition so I don't think will need too much hard work to get it ready for planting. However, it doesn't have a shed for me to store the few bits I will need on the lottie.
Does anyone have instructions/ideas on how to build a low cost/no cost shed?
Also, what tools will I need? We are looking to start easy with root vegtables and the like, the plot also has a couple of rhubarb plants and is lined with gooseberry bushes. Apart from a spade, fork and hand tools, what else would be good for me to look out for at the local car boot?

All answers and encouragement are greatly appreciated!

Cheddar, Somerset

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: Newbie wants to build a shed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 14:36:39 »
A hoe.

You'll probably use it just about every time you visit your plot, to remove those weeds between crops before they take hold.

Cue a long debate on the best of all the myriad types, and why....  ;D

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 14:39:43 »
Oh, and welcome too!

(how rude of me!).

Hope you have many happy years on your new plot. It sounds like you were lucky in getting one that is in fairly good condition.

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 14:43:27 »
Welcome. I have seen loads of sheds built from pallets, doors etc. I know in my area they are a few places who would love you to take the pallets away. I was lucky when visiting my local B+Q store, they had a damaged one they were about to take away so I made an offer and got it cheap then repaired it. Spuds are always a good starter but you might be a little late now, so I would concentrate on clearing any weeds there might be and get salad crops in and all the winter veg, leeks sprouts etc, you will find loads of veg that you could still plant but as I said I would get rid of as much weed roots as you can and next year you will be rewarded. Good luck and keep at it.
Reagrds

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 16:25:45 »
CP,

Welcome aboard.

As has been said spuds could be planted now (you should still find some in garden centres or, cheaper, if the site has a trading hut).

Sweet corn, French and runner beans, marrows/courgettes are fairly trouble free and could be started at home in modules/pots now for planting out at the end of the month as could. Its not too late to sow carrots and parsnips and winter and spring greens (although the slugs may give you greif on these). You could buy in plants of all of these but that pushes up the cost.

Then there are salads - spring onions, lettuce, radish all quick growing and could be sown now (just enough to last 2 weeks) then repeat the sowing every 2 weeks - that way they are always fresh.

On tools I would add a rake and a hoe (or rather 2 hoes a pushing type and a chopping type) and if you have a trowel and dibber in your "hand tools" you should have enough to start with.

Bets of luck

Phil

A good site for what to do when is run by a board member, Gavin, http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/default.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 16:34:45 by philcooper »

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 17:06:02 »
Hi cheddarpaul,

I never cease to be amazed at  the huge amount of stuff the allotment consumes. Wood, plastic and miscellaneous building materials, big stones, bricks and concrete slabs, wire and scaffold poles for all sorts of cold frames, composters, fences and supports, edging, flooring, paths. Sheds of course and greenhouses need shelving and staging. The list goes on and on. Fortunately scavenging, skip diving and recycling takes care of most of that.

The building work requires wood working tools, and nails, screws, zip ties, hooks and hinges etc. Include a knife and scissors.

I also use a weed wand, a battery strimmer, and a battery drill. I`d like a battery saw too.

Then you need to be able to collect store and move enough water to keep everything growing in a drought, so you`ll need guttering and water barrels, hoses, sprinklers, and all the fiddly fittings and connectors for those and watering cans.

I use loads of builders buckets for storage and carrying weeds. Don`t forget a wheelbarrow, and a couple of those big garden bags.

Then you`ll need bamboo canes, loads of them in all sizes, and pea sticks, netting in a range of sizes and fleece to keep pigeons and the weather off your crops.

Netting will need frames and supports - whatever you can find, and cloche hoops. Those little pegs for pegging nets and fleece down are useful. I also use clothes pegs. Oh! and you`ll need string and plant ties.

Mouse proof tins for seeds, plant pots, labels,
seed trays, potting compost, and slug traps. Pop bottles for cloches and ice cream tubs will come in handy, as will old bicycle inner tubes, might as well start collecting now.

I also have a mirror so i can see how mucky my face is when I want to shop on the way home, and soap, and a first aid kit. A hat to prevent sunstroke and sun block. A fleece for when it turns cold and a waterproof. I also keep a pair of boots and work clothes because I get filthy. My wife wants me to have a clock too `cus allotments are timeless.

Chemicals? well thats a personal choice.

I love my right angle fork and a long handled hoe that are old and rusted. I use a range of hand tools with hooks and blades, and have a "set" of fork, spade and shovel.

That is just some of the contents of my sheds and storage areas. Hows that go again? "just a few bits I will need" you say ... ;D

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 08:42:35 »
But you can do it with a lot less - let's not frighten people off

Once you have the basics in hand, with a limited toolkit, then is the time to consider how else you can "enjoy" your plot

Phil

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 08:49:26 »
In deed you can.

My key tools at the allotment are a good fork and a hoe.

I use a push hoe. If you do the same make sure you keep it sharp. I keep a flat file in the shed to sharpen it everytime I use it. You then cut the weeds rather than just push them around.

Other tools are a trowel, a bucket and a watering can. I also have a push mower for the paths. I always have a pen knife in my pocket as well.

I find I do not need anything else 9 times out of ten.

All nice a simple and not a temptation for thieves.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 09:09:00 »
Hi and welcome - you are right, you'll find so much useful  information here and have a laugh too :). We are newbies too and this group has been invaluable.

why don't you keep checking your local paper for a shed - sometimes people advertise them free or very cheaply if they want to make room in their garden. You have to be quick though - we've missed two in the past few weeks! We aren't allowed to put up home made type sheds on our site so if we don't get a second hand one soon we'll have to buy one. in the mean time, we have an old plastic dustbin which we found and we put our tools (only got a couple of spades and forks, a rake, a hoe a trowel and a dibber) in that at the back of the plot. Following on from what Col says though we are saving everything which looks like it may be useful - the back garden looks like steptoes yard! As my grandad (a compulsive horder) used to say "It'll come in handy if I never use it  ;D.

As for planting, we've only got potatos and onions in so far, going to put some more potatoes in this weekend though. We've started off courgettes, cucumbers, sweetcorn, french beans and runner beans, tomatos, butternut squash and goodness knows what else on windowsills, the dining table etc etc. Most of these will be planted out through black weed suppressant membrane towards the end of the month as we just haven't had time to dig the whole plot.

Good luck and enjoy your lottie

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 09:10:39 »
Oooohhh!! My goodness - not newbies - we've been promoted to Jr member!!!!!!!!

this is a momentous day  ;D  ;D  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 11:18:54 »
Clairenpaul    My spuds are growing well under black plastic but attempts to earth up with straw failed as my plot seems to be windy corner  ;D  Heard frost warning last night so had to race to plot with more black sheet fleecy stuff to cover them up.   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 19:30:11 »
Hi,  :-[

But you can do it with a lot less - let's not frighten people off

Don`t let me frighten anybody off. I`m having a great time.
Choose from my huge and ridiculous list and decide for yourself whats important to you as you go along and see what opportunities may come along to scavenge stuff in the coming year.

Best of luck, Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 23:41:51 »
Also, what tools will I need?

A border fork will do everything.

I mean,  EVERYTHING.
Good gardening!

John