Author Topic: Very basic mangetout query...  (Read 1627 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Very basic mangetout query...
« on: May 06, 2005, 13:03:24 »
I'm confused.   ???

I have peas:

a) Serpette pea (round, not wrinkled) - these can be sown direct/planted in the ground, despite frost risk?

b) Mangetout (wrinkled), Delikata - can I sow these direct now, or do I have to wait until last danger of frost has passed?

The more I read about peas, the more unsure I become... 'hardy', 'moderately hardy', 'smooth', 'wrinkled'... and there is no indication on the packets to say when to sow, only to avoid cold & wet soil.

Well the soil here is finally starting to dry out, but the frost danger isn't over 'til end May/beg June.

Help! Before I overload & meltdown  (very messy)  :)

Kerry

• Hectare
Re: Very basic mangetout query...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 20:36:44 »
hi gadfium,
here is what the organic gardening catalogue says about 'round' seeded peas:

They are winter hardy, will stand frost and produce a crop early in the season, so can be sown in November to mature from late May. Alternatively sow in March/April for a later harvest. They have a slightly less sweet flavour to the wrinkled seeded varieties, due to a higher starch content.

'wrinkled' peas are meant for spring sowing.

i've been sowing my mange tout in pots, and have transplanted them into the ground, the first batch was planted out a couple of weeks ago and they're just fine. whether this is luck or not i don't know-sorry! it has got down to a degree above freezing here last couple of nights and they're still ok.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Very basic mangetout query...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:52:17 »
Not strictly mangetout but I've had my climbing snowpeas out for nearly a month now. They survived what was supposed to be a light frost last night

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal