Author Topic: Butter Nut Squash  (Read 8114 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Butter Nut Squash
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2005, 11:38:03 »
Thanks sarahr

I do still have some seed left.   I'm doing a 2nd sowing of the butternut squash next week to see what happens.

Knowing my luck the first lot will then pop up along with the 2nd lot.   If they do I'll count my lucky stars, I saw the price of a small butternut squash at my local morrisons & nearly fainted!!!    At those prices I'll be over the moon just to get one grown.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2005, 18:59:22 »
Butternut squash 99p each at lidls.  I didn't think that was tooooo bad as sainbs had them for 1.99 !!!!
Get with the beat Baggy

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2005, 20:30:08 »
i've never been to sainsburys-oh has and says its v. expensive.....i wonder if all supermarkets use the same suppliers and some just make a killing.....
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2005, 21:29:12 »
there is a supermarket hierarchy but most of the veg comes from the same place - for example when sorting spuds marks and spencers got the best, sainsbury's the next best, tesco the next etc etc.

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2005, 00:04:23 »
Still no sign of my BNS, or the courgettes for that matter - after 7 days. Both were free with GYO.

How long did everyone's take?

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2005, 15:08:49 »
Finally.......four of the six butternut's I sowed have popped up whilst I've been away for the weekend.   

I put a propogator lid on them & moved them to the gro-house to give them better light & up they've popped.   I still have hopes for the missing two.

How many fruits can I expect per plant by the way?

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

discovery

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2005, 15:42:54 »
I have sown some of the ones that were free with, G.Y.O. I was`nt having any luck, until i put them on the radiator, and now they are just showing through the compost.( I have lent my propagator to a friend) I have sown seed from pumpkins and squashes bought  from supermarkets and they have always grown well.

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2005, 16:48:24 »
Hello Baggy,

I saved seeds from a supermarket butternut squash, I chited them first between damp tissue, and then potted them up and almost immediately  they shoved up two strong leaves, they look really healthy. But I suppose I will have to wait until they fruit, fruit? to see if they are any good. Unless there's someone out there who knows different?.......

Katy

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2005, 20:38:43 »
 ;D I'd like to try these, is it too late to sow? or when is it too late to sow? ;D

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2005, 21:22:45 »
The GYO courgettes are up and there is a distinct bump in the butternut squash soil, so I'm hoping for some little green pointy bits tomorrow.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2005, 22:59:49 »
Get them in now Roy and keep 'em warm.  With the way the seasons are shaping up, you will be harvesting them in the heatwave of October!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 08:50:45 »
 ;D Cheers Emma ;D ready for my birthday then 8)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2005, 14:12:51 »
Another one popped up yesterday!

That's 2 out of 16 then.

The rest should be ready for next year... :-\
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2005, 14:18:37 »
I didn't get the BNS with my issue but am growing the courgettes and they are just developing their third jagged leaves (they seem to be slowing down a bit though).

Did the whole packet and they all came up ok. Gave some away but kept 2 as i dont have enough room.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2005, 13:40:47 »
Three out of sixteen now!!

Me thinks a bit of bottom heat on 'em next year.  ::)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2005, 14:10:17 »
We didn't have a problem germinating the BNS seeds from GYO - just stuck them in some compost and left them on the kitchen windowsill. Planted them out a couple of weeks ago and although they looked really good then, they look really sad now despite lots of watering ... we'll have to wait and see how they go, maybe this warmer weather will help (if it lasts)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2005, 14:27:46 »
We didn't have a problem .... just stuck them in some compost and left them on the kitchen windowsill....

That's the trouble with some people, they just don't take gardening seriously  :D

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal