Author Topic: Anyone Know How  (Read 3228 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Anyone Know How
« on: April 30, 2005, 17:56:36 »
 To look after and plant in which soil, an ACER rather small but grows to 5ft,
it has the name ACER-ATROPURPUREUM.  Can it be planted in ""ordinary soil" or does it need something special, it has no care label on it.
 Keep moist or let it dry out , grit  or sandy mixture??. please let me know if you ,have one or can help.  Cheers Rosebud. ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Anyone Know How
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 19:14:34 »
Woodland plant, so dappled shade, and none lime soil. Does not really like a windy position either. No pruning except to remove any dead branches.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 20:21:49 »
I believe ericaceous soil is best for acers although I am struggling to grow mine as my darling puppy has got a taste for them >:( he has chewed two lovely little acers from ground level >:(

http://www.gardenhealth.com/product_range/ericaceous_plants.php

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 21:23:48 »
Bad dog! LOL

My acers are in ordinary soil (as opposed to ericaceous), they're doing fine.  One word of advice - my only problem is that our back garden faces East/South-East, so we get the sun in the morning.  Acers do not especially like early morning sun, and prefer dappled shade anyhow.  So from time to time the leaves get a bit frazzled.  If you can avoid this, do.  If like me, you can't consider growing something fast growing and taller in front of it to shield it a little from the sun.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 10:57:17 »
Rosebud,

Unless you have a dwarf variety the your Acer Atroppurpureum will grow to 15' not 5!

They don't like wind or hot sun on damp leaves (as has been said) both burn the leaves and, although the book says they like a slightly acid soil, mine is growing happily on chalk

Phil

There's much more at http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=plant1012

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:04:54 »
I just did a post with a pic, posted it and nothing.  Zippo  ??? ???   here I go again.  Two japanese acers growing happily this morning.  Very windy garden with alkaline soil.  Shelter is essential or they will get miserable and not do well  I don't do anything to mine at all but they are only 3 years old and have been very slow growing which is fine by me

Here they are this morning and look in fine fettle  :)   the one in the corner is an acer but it's not a very good pic Sorry  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 11:06:39 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 22:59:02 »
Thank you for your help folks, I have bought ericaous? compost and it is now in dappled shade.   Phil it said on the pot it grows 5x5 i hope that was correct information they gave :o.  Cheers Rosebud.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:07:21 »
.... but they don't always tell the truth!!!  :(

Phil

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 22:46:31 »
Phil now you have me worried!!!!!!!!. ;D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 20:21:06 »
Consolation prize!  Very slow growing in height!   ;D
Muddy Boots

Madlou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 18:43:00 »
I keep my Acer in a big pot - then I can move it around the garden. It's in ordinary compost and it gets a Miracle Grow feed once a week now the weather is getting better..We've only had it about 12months but it seems happy enough as you can see.
It's an Acer Palmatum "Dissectum" and I am told that it will only grow to around 5' in 10 yrs..

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 00:37:32 »
Keep it away from drying winds, surround it with carpet ;D

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 17:52:14 »
Was it 5x5m and not feet?
Brian

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 00:16:26 »
Madlou, that Acer looks really lovely and healthy, beautiful colour!!.
 Gardenantics, it may have been 5ftX5ft i have thrown the label away now, you are most likely right. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal