Author Topic: Help with choosing a bamboo fo a pot  (Read 1792 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Help with choosing a bamboo fo a pot
« on: May 08, 2005, 08:37:44 »
Any ideas folks ?  We have a large blue ceramic pot about knee height and roughly the size of the bottome of a dustbin.   (with me so far ?)  We would like a bamboo to sit on our new deck, no not the pallet affair on the Lotty, and wonderedwhich type would be suitable.  I kind of envisaged it being 4 foot ish.
Advice please.  Also how much would one need to splash out for a suitable specimen.
Get with the beat Baggy

montanum

• Half Acre
Re: Help with choosing a bamboo fo a pot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:50:46 »
A good colourful dwarf bamboo is Arundinaria viridistriata which has yellow striped leaves. It may also be known as Pleioblastus viridistriatus and grows to about 4 feet. We have grown this successfully both in the ground and in a pot but they do like a lot of water and a little protection from wind and too much strong sun.
From The Mountains

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 18:03:17 »
Iwould be more tempted to grow a largish grass instead. If  it is in a container you could get a nice showy half hardy type.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 19:27:28 »
A grass that makes a swishy noise would be good, and something to screen out next door without being too obvious.  The grandkids oggle us when we sit out and my OH is paranoid about being stared at.
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal