Author Topic: WOOD CHIPPINGS FOR WEED CONTROL  (Read 2852 times)

ACE

• Hectare
WOOD CHIPPINGS FOR WEED CONTROL
« on: May 03, 2005, 19:27:26 »
We have a tree feller who puts all his fellings through a big chipper and when he is working nearby he drops off the odd lorryload for a small drink, We use it for weed control and rotovate it in the following winter when we strip the beds for plant division.
 This system works really well and the plants seem to bulk up very robustly, mostly it is chestnut, pine or even leylandi, but this time he dropped of a load of eucalyptus  and I am a bit worried that this might affect the plants.

Does anybody know if it will? I can use it for a pathway, but I need a bit more around the plants at present.

ps It don't half clear your head when you move it about.

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: WOOD CHIPPINGS FOR WEED CONTROL
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 00:06:49 »
I would be a bit cautious too about using it on the garden, but it will make a great path.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:23:14 »
I'd be more worried about the Pine & Leylandii, many coniferous trees contain growth suppressants, that's why you're not supposed to compost Christmas trees

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 18:17:39 »
the eucalyptus would be great bagged up in washing tablet nets (that you get with persil tablets) and used as moth detterent in your wardrobes....

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 00:30:49 »
you're not supposed to compost Christmas trees

I have never had a problem yet, in fact if the chipping are full of green stuff they are even better. But we do leave it a few weeks to warm up before use.

Also if you get the recycled  compost  from the council most of it is hedge clipping and leylandi is 80% of that. I have ben using it for 30 years. no problems.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal