Author Topic: Marigolds & calendula  (Read 3379 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Marigolds & calendula
« on: April 11, 2005, 18:02:26 »
Hardy enough for planting out now? ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Marigolds & calendula
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 18:43:52 »

Thanks for the reminder...must sow mine ;D

Debs

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 22:16:11 »
Calendula yes ;D, marigolds no >:(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 22:21:55 »
good  ;D  b*gger  :(

Oh well, will leave them both for now then.  Thanks Merry ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:53:44 »
I only got four seeds germinated out of the last lot I sowed so have done some more this morning.  I shall plant some direct into the garden later on - next month end probably  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 10:17:16 »
GGGRRR  Slugs has two of my marigolds last nite and these were specials from MagpieDi.  OOOOOOOO I am angry!

Madlou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 14:42:29 »
What fab news - my Trifids Calendula can go out!! Hurray !!!!!

That is such a relief - it's the first time I've grown them and they have all taken much better than I had hoped - I've repotted them twice and now have 109 healthy plants that seem to be doubling in size every day...

Do you know - is it safe to plant out Ostepsermums as well? Then I could actually move in the greenhouse!!!!

;D

dragonfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 14:56:04 »
My calendula's seem to have self seeded rather alot......... i have hundreds of little seedlings come up  :o  :o  :o

*note to myself, remember to deadhead more - remember to deadhead more! *  ::) ;D

Will have to go out there and thin them out and move some around to other parts of the garden.............. should be a good show this year  8)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 14:59:22 »
Madlou - my Osteos have been out all year and just about survived. They are flowering again now. But mine is a very sheltered London garden. Where are you? Also some Osteos are hardier than others. To be honest, I'd play it safe and keep them in for another couple of weeks.
gone to pot :D

Madlou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 15:34:27 »
Hi Aquilegia

I'm much further North, up in sunny Cheshire, but I have grown my Osteo's from seed and they are really growing crazy..This is the first yr my hubby has put my in charge of the planting and I think I must be more green fingered than him cos everything is doing so well..I can't stand in the greenhouse now without having to move stuff out of it - I just want to get it all out and hopefully have a beautiful garden this summer

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 16:07:24 »
my calendula are still ickle tiny weeny things - sowed them a couple of weeks ago.  I have pricked them out but they still only have two leaves. Is this ok?  Should I do anything special to them?  I have never really grown flowers from seed.

Madlou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 16:53:46 »
Just make sure that you water them regularly (don't let them dry out) and keep them nice and warm with as much sun as the weather will allow.

Once mine had been repotted the first time they came on in leaps and bounds and are now starting to produce flowers.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 19:45:09 »
i planted my calendula out on monday as there where getting to big in the green house ,all that night and most of tuesday  it poured with rain , but the calendula are l,ooking better now then there where the rain must have done then good as  i think it was getting to hot in the green house for them.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 21:41:12 »
justy-mine are still weeny too-but i have hadthem out the minigreenhouse for a few days now-i shall pr**k mine out at the weekend...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 22:54:40 »
Calendula out, marigolds out, morning glory out, sweetpeas out, sunflowers out, nasturtiums out!   Problem is, the garden is already overflowing and I am fast running out of room!  I sense I will be using a lot of pots this year!  ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 15:52:58 »
Crikey EJ !! The SUN isn't even out up here yet , still winter !!  ::)

Plenty seeds left if you need any !  ;)    ;D

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Madlou

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 18:36:01 »
I asked hubby last night if we could plant everything out and was told quite firmly 'NO'..Today I ahve been quite relieved cos the poor things would have been blown to bits by the wind today - so I have got him to agree to cutting a new bed into the lawn instead!!!!!

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 22:45:20 »
Up to now the only thing i have planted out is the larkspur, which after growing from seed , it said you could plant out from April, so i did .....and apart from an attack from slugs the rest seem to be doing ok. (I got hundreds by the way, was really pleased with the outcome)

Ive made up a fair few hanging baskets but i have to keep dragging them indoors every night ....grrrrr
So its a case of nowhere to sit and plants galore all over the show  ::)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 22:47:57 by honeybee »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal