Author Topic: I'm a new allotment holder - But too late?  (Read 2169 times)

Eliza252

I'm a new allotment holder - But too late?
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:14:35 »
I have only just got my allotment - it still needs be totally dug over etc and I cant get hold of any tools till next week - will I be too late to plant stuff? This is my first ever garden, let alone allotment so ANY advice would be appreciated, trust me, nothing is too obvious in terms of advice! I have the beginnings of runner beans, sweetcorn, peppers and pumpkins growing on my window sill.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 11:16:09 by Eliza252 »

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
Re: I'm a new allotment holder - But too late?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:27:02 »
Maybe dig over a small area and get a few things in from your window sill, then dig another small area etc. ? Do it bit by bit.
Takes time. This is my third year and I'm still trying to clear a load of nettles from the far end of my plot because I just don't get enough time to do it all in one go.

It's good fun experimenting though and every year seems so different. It's a constant learning experience.

Enjoy!  ;D

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:31:53 »
I'm new to this too, and I'm sure the more experienced folks will be able to give you much more advice than me; however I think you will still be able to plant loads of stuff.

Dig a small patch, then plant it... then just keep going and see what you can manage without it all becoming a chore. I thought I'd have our piece of ground all cleared, but no... but it really doesn't matter, because I'm out for enjoyment & good food, not slogging myself to death...

Most vegetables can still go in the ground, which is very fortunate for me :  e.g. Onion sets (if you can find a lost bag in a garden centre) should still be OK, potatoes (ditto), leeks, spring onions, sprouts, cabbages, (mini)cauliflowers, radishes, lettuces galore, tomatoes (late crop), parsnips, beetroot, peas, broad beans,  outdoor cucumber, courgettes, swedes, turnips,  mustards & oriental greens, kales, kohl rabi, carrots, texel greens...

Pick your favourites and work from there?

:)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 15:20:04 »
Hello Eliza, welcome.  ;D

A good tip is to try and cover some of your plot with old carpet or other huge coverings to supress the weeds while you work on a small part of it.

Good luck with it.

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 16:18:17 »
I would carry on as you are, start stuff off at home and as mentioned above clear bit by bit and plant the stuff in it from home. There is still masses of veg that can go in! Which reminds me I must get my french beans into pots!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

David R

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 18:07:41 »
Dont try to do it all in one year, it might take several depending on your size (the plot that is!).  Better to leave the weeds for another season than do your back in and never return. As Maz says, get some carpet, old lino, cardboard, anything to cover the weeds.
good luck

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 18:44:19 »
Stop wasting your time on the computor and get on with it, the only tools you need to pull weeds are your hands ;D

They all have shares with Cyril Lord on this site, and will do anything to get you to use carpet ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 19:29:58 »
Too true  ;D  Cover up the weeds until you can get round to dealing with them - that way :) they won't sneak up on you.  Mine are covered in anything I can get my hands on.  I run the mower over the weeds and they look very good too when cut - just like a lawn (well, sort of) and it's a nice place to sit and have a cuppa while I plan where to lay my next piece of axminster.

Happy gardening.  There's still loads of time to get stuff in.
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 22:20:07 »
 ;D Heritage!  We all know you love carpet and cover your entire plot with it for 6 months of the year!  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 22:42:31 »
Hi Eliza, welcome you can turn a patch over and get some spuds in , they are very good for breaking the soil down ,don`t worry to much about being a bit late the worst that can happen is you will get your veggies a little later than most.
 Just do small amounts at a time , and of course stand your friends a pint to help you clear what ground you need for just now . Good luck  ;D Rosebud.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 08:12:30 »
eliza-never too late! ;)
there are some onion sets on ebay in the gardening section and our local garden center (no  good for you unless you live here but it'll be the same in your local i expect)has 2 for 1 bags of  spuds-shove 'em in!
heritage!showing yer age mate-cyril lord!
(mind you-they do have carpets youuuuu can afford do cyril lord!)
kitty takes sip of sanatogen and a phyllosan pill....... ;D ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 08:44:15 »
Use the no dig method for a bed of potatoes. Use cardboard and some rotted manure (even get it from a garden centre if you really have to!) and plant the spuds in. Cover over with black plastic sheeting and cut holes for the plants when they grow up. 

For squashes pumpkins they will grow over waste patches if you dig a hole and fill it with compost and plant them in it. So you at least get some crops this year!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 10:26:30 »
Dear Eliza

I have just passed the 4th anniversary of getting my plot, so I know all about starting in May. Onion sets will still grow if you can find some (probably half price by now so you get a good deal). Gardeners' Kitchen do punnets of seedling veg, so buying some of those is a good idea, as you can then grow loads of things. Beans are only just going in now anyway, likewise sweetcorn, courgettes/marrows, squashes.  Last year my spuds were planted on May Day BH so no worries there, and you can plant them in August for Christmas in any case!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal