Author Topic: "cold frame" help  (Read 2099 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
"cold frame" help
« on: April 30, 2005, 08:18:35 »
I have a wall round a bed, 8" at front 12" at back, brick built, that obviously used to be some kind of cold frame in the past. i have plenty of glass i can put over it as a temporary measure but do i need to cover the whole thing, i was think of putting the glass over about 1/2 of it with gaps between panes but this would mean it only had 3 solid sides if you see what i mean. Is that ok or does it completely defeat the object having one side open to the rest of the bed.

does that make sense? i bet it doesn't...

Jo

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: "cold frame" help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 10:23:10 »
Photo Jo?? ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 10:43:50 »
ok will do photo this weekend!

its for the things that have been in the plastic growhouse in my yard (and outside on nice days) so i can move the windowsill guys to the growhouse and sow some more!!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 11:04:11 »
don't know for sure but I would have thought your plan would be ideal as it would give the plants a bit of protection but ventilation too and would start getting them used to the big outdoors!  The forecasts seem pretty good for the next week at least and by then we are into May and risk of frosts very slim (I would think.....famous last words)

I have been very ruthless and chucked all the big stuff out of growing house and straight onto my covered deck area! I figure that because it is southfacing the wall of the house is absorbing loads of sun in the day which it can then used to keep the plants warm at night.  Total tosh probably but they have been out for a week and so far so good.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 15:43:10 »
No in my opinion it does not matter as a coldframe is a outdoor onstop place for pants to harden up. Just as long as the frost cannot get them then gaps are good because it adds ventilation and helps to toughen them up ready for planting out.
Be kind to slugs and snails!

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 22:19:58 »
Legless,  :) I have coldframes and reckon its best to have a total cover so you can cover the plants at night, to keep the heat in, when first put in from the greenhouse to harden off.

But coldframes are very versatile and especially now its May can be used as a mini-greeshouse to sow seeds in, take cuttings etc with just a brick or bit of wood used to prop the lid open in the day for ventilation.  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal