Author Topic: When seeds get too hot  (Read 1408 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
When seeds get too hot
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:39:47 »
Many seeds need heat to germinate: fact.

can anyone tell me what may happen if the grwoing conditions exceed the reccomended temperature range?

Is it possible to 'cool down' such seed nd get them to germinate or are they generaly unviable?

I am not talking seeds that have been excessively over heated or 'cooked', i am talking of temperatures up to 10c higher than recommended.

Thanks.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: When seeds get too hot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 22:18:06 »
A standard centerally heated room or bathroom should be fine!
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 23:48:39 »
I guess some seeds would 'die' but also some would be fine.  I do think that sometimes we over think and over worry growing plants - who worries in the wilds?  Mother Nature my daughter would tell me.  If they haven't been baked then I am sure they are fine.  I have had great success with seed that I soaked for what should have been 24 hours and it ended up soaking for over a week.....I have had seed germinate that should have spent weeks in the freezing cold, and up they come in the middle of summer, and vice versa.  Don't worry Richard, I am sure your seeds will germinate, just with a sun tan  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 19:28:19 »
I do hope so EJ - thanks for the encouragement! ;D

I am now keping them a bit cooler and hopefully with a bit of patience they'll be oK - as long as the seed was ok in the firstplace that is! ::)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 21:30:46 »
You always know when it is to hot for the seed because you hear from the tray or pot -:

Im feeling HOT HOT HOT....

;D
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal