Author Topic: Runners Bitter?  (Read 2047 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Runners Bitter?
« on: April 30, 2005, 00:08:28 »
Had 102lb of runner beans from one plot width last year and been eating them like mad and given away loads to customers. They have said how nice they were(personnally I am not THAT crazy about them but they are ok) Tonight a friend cautiously mentioned they were bitter!!! The 1st lot she had were beautiful but the second lot from the freezer were bitter with a vengence :o

Wonder what went wrong?
She is no stranger to veggies as she is one and wouldn`t tell porkies, anyone else had this problem? Wondering if they were the first frozen(longest kept) or the last batches grown as the plant grew weary?

Andy

Gadfium

• Acre
Re: Runners Bitter?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 00:18:05 »
Did you blanch the beans before freezing?

Before certain foods are frozen, they need blanching in boiling water to prevent certain enzymes from adversely affecting the food during the time it takes to freeze and thaw before use e.g. runner beans need a 2-3 minutes blanch.

I found this out the hard way, having thought the whole blanching business was a waste of time. My sugar snap peas and mangetout were frozen (minus blanch) and within a matter of weeks were bloomin' awful. Uuurrrgggghhhh.  ::)

For most vegetables, no blanch = eat them very quick, or tastebud curling yuk.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 01:43:49 »
I think we felt the same way after blanching so many things >:(
Think that may be the problem then, blanched loads and then got lazy...... :-[
Will bear in mind or this year and blanch all that requires it.

Thanks

Andy H

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:58:09 »
A couple of thoughts. Since none were blanched, & one lot were bitter, sounds more like the fault of that pick, variety or growing condition, rather than processing? Or the fact that, beyond 6 months, you're asking a lot for anything to be attractive.

Sugar snaps can never be like sugar snaps after freezing.

If you're going to blanch, do steam.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 10:23:39 »
Thanks Tim, some were blanched which we think were the earlier ones. haven`t really got the facilities to steam huge amounts :-\
How long to steam blanch them?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 10:46:25 »

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:34:15 »
Oh my!  If you're anything like me, don't go anywhere near the sort of steamer Tim is recommending.  They boil dry in the blinking of an eye.  I have an enamel steamer which cost £20 and comprises of two parts - a nice deep pan for the water, and a second pan which fits on top, with the collander-type holes in and of course, a lid.  If you can afford one of these, they're really worth it.  I burnt the bottom of too many pans with the other type!!! LOL
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:43:38 »
I'm sorry to totally disagree, Charlotte. Nothing to buy except the sievey thing - and if you can't put enough water in to prevent it going dry, & you almost never need more than 1/2" of water, then you  need something examining??

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 17:09:48 »
Yes, tim, I'm sure - my head probably does need examining.  However, my burnt pans tell a different tale. LOL  One of a life of continual interruption and distraction!  I know us girls are meant to be better at multi-tasking, but not this one apparently.  ;D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 18:43:45 »
Sorry if that seemed sharp, Charlotte - as you know, always trying to help.

Our timer was quite expensive - has 4 ongoing options, with 4 loudnesses. I can hear it without my hearing aid!

When's your birthday??

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 21:15:56 »
Tim, I love your no-nonsense attitude.  Don't ever change!  I do have a lemon-shaped kitchen timer, but even so, I find there is, err, many a slip twixt cup and lip. 

Basically, whatever steamer you choose, its better than boiling - on that I'm sure we agree!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal